Effie T. Brown(Redirected from Effie Brown)
Effie T. Brown is a film and television producer known for such films as Rocket Science, Real Women Have Curves, Everyday People, Desert Blue, Dear White People, and But I'm a Cheerleader. She is seen in the fourth season of Project Greenlight as a producer on that season's film project The Leisure Class.
|Effie T. Brown|
|Education||Loyola Marymount University|
Project Greenlight controversyEdit
In the fourth season premiere of Project Greenlight, Effie Brown, along with director Peter Farrelly and actors Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, met to decide which filmmakers would be chosen to direct a feature film for the show. Among the finalists considered were a directing team of an Asian American man, Leo Angelos, and a white woman, Kristen Brancaccio. Effie Brown expressed her support of this team, stating that "I would just urge people to think about whoever this director is, the way that they’re going to treat the character of Harmony, her being a prostitute,” Brown counters. “[She’s] the only black person, being a hooker who gets hit by her white pimp." Damon, feeling frustration that the show had not properly cast more diverse filmmakers for the competition, responded that "when you’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not the casting of the show." Critics of Damon's comments stated that he was "mansplaining" and "whitesplaining" diversity to Effie Brown and accused him of being racially tone deaf.
- Desert Blue (1998), line producer
- But I'm A Cheerleader (1999), line producer
- Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her (2000), line producer
- Stranger Inside (2001), producer
- Real Women Have Curves (2002), producer
- In the Cut (2003), executive producer
- Everyday People (2004), producer
- Rocket Science (2007), producer
- Dear White People (2014), producer
- "Effie Brown". The New York Times.
- Vlessing, Etan (February 25, 2015). "Lionsgate's Codeblack Taps Effie Brown to Produce 'Flyy Girl' Book Adaptation". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Effie Brown Filmography". The New York Times.
- Scott, A. O. (October 16, 2014). "Advanced Course in Diversity 'Dear White People,' About Racial Hypocrisy at a College". The New York Times.
- Littleton, Cynthia (November 6, 2014). "'Dear White People' Producer Effie Brown Joins HBO's 'Project Greenlight' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Harris, Aisha (September 14, 2015). "Project Greenlight Revealed Exactly Why Hollywood Still Has a Diversity Problem". Slate.
- Saul, Heather (September 15, 2015). "Matt Damon criticised for interrupting black producer Effie Brown and explaining diversity". The Independent.
- Boboltz, Sara (September 15, 2015). "Tone-Deaf Matt Damon Ridiculed For Comment On Diversity In Hollywood. The diversity issue is best Damonsplained". The Huffington Post.
- Harris, Aisha (2015-09-14). "Project Greenlight Revealed Exactly Why Hollywood Still Has a Diversity Problem". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- Ito, Robert (2015-12-29). "Matt Damon: You Could Call Him Down to Earth". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Matt Damon In Hot Water Over Diversity Remarks". HuffPost UK. 2015-09-16. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Matt Damon 'sorry' over diversity row". BBC News. 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2018-01-19.