Ebates is an American cashback website headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Ebates' revenue comes from affiliate network links. Members of the site click through affiliate links before shopping at a retailer's site. Once the member makes a purchase, Ebates receives an affiliate commission from the retailer which is then shared with the member. The company publishes links both on their website and through a Google Chrome browser extension.
|Industry||Cashback website, Online coupons|
|Founded||May 3, 1998Menlo Park, CA, United States in |
2009 (website launch)
|Founders||Alessandro Isolani and Paul Wasserman|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA|
|United States, Canada, China, South Korea, Singapore, Japan|
|Amit Patel (CEO)|
Number of employees
|6800 (Worldwide, 2018)|
When compared to other cashback sites, Ebates frequently offers lower commission payments to members.
Ebates was started in 1998 in Menlo Park, CA by two former deputy district attorneys, Alessandro Isolani and Paul Wasserman. Funded by venture capital firm Foundation Capital, Ebates.com launched on May 3, 1999 offering up to 25% cash back from about 40 online retailers.
In 2011 the company acquired FatWallet and AnyCoupons.com and later merged to form a new company called Performance Marketing Brands. In the next year Ebates bought a free web and iOS application, OneReceipt. In August 2016, OneReceipt shut down.
In September 2014, Ebates was acquired by Rakuten, inc. for $1 Billion. In March 2016, Ebates acquired mobile product discovery app Shopular. In January 2017, Ebates acquired Cartera Commerce. In February 2017, Ebates acquired ShopStyle and Cosmic Cart from PopSugar Inc.
- "Rakuten to Acquire Ebates for $1 Billion". Business Wire (Press release). 9 September 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Crane, John (2018-09-02). "How To Get Retailers To Start Paying YOU Back For Every Purchase". Medium. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Earn Cashback When Buying Online: Ebates vs TopCashBack". Horizon West Info. July 26, 2018. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Kemp, Ted (17 May 1999). "ebates.com Pays Cash to Net Shoppers, Hopes to Lure Advertisers". Direct Marketing News. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Ebates.com launches discount rebate site". Advertising Age. Crain Communications Inc. 3 May 1999. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- Robin Wauters (September 9, 2011). "Backed By VCs, Ebates Buys FatWallet.com And AnyCoupons.com, Starts New Company". TechCrunch. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- "OneReceipt Shutting Down 8/24/16". OneReceipt's Blog: Our Two Cents. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Perez, Sarah (9 September 2014). "Rakuten Buys Ebates For $1 Billion". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Steven Loeb (March 26, 2016). "AppDirect acquired Xendo; Ebates bought Shopular; Ola purchased Qarth". Vator. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- "Ebates Acquires Cartera Commerce". Cartera Commerce. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Ebates Acquires ShopStyle From PopSugar Inc".