East Midlands Today
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|East Midlands Today|
|Also known as||East Midlands Tonight|
|Presented by||Anne Davies|
|Producer(s)||BBC East Midlands|
|Running time||Main bulletin:|
|Original network||BBC One East Midlands|
|Picture format||PAL (576i, 16:9)|
|Original release||7 January 1991 –|
|Related shows||Midlands Today (for the West Midlands)|
ITV News Central
The programme is broadcast on BBC One from studios at the BBC's East Midlands broadcasting centre in Nottingham, also home to Radio Nottingham. The main transmitter for the programme is Waltham near Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. The programme can be watched in any part of the UK (and Europe) from Astra 1N on Freesat channel 952 and Sky channel 960. The latest edition of East Midlands Today is also available to watch on the BBC iPlayer.
East Midlands Today was established as an independent programme on 7 January 1991, having previously been a part of Midlands Today, which now solely covers the West Midlands region. The split arose from criticisms of Midlands Today as being too centric on West Midlands coverage, although a service of separate opt-out bulletins for the region had been provided during the eighties.
On 5 February 1996, the show introduced double-manned presentation with Quentin Rayner and Kathy Rochford. The programme's newer (generic) 'look', in line with most other BBC regional TV news programmes, was introduced on 16 September 2002, with an update on 6 September 2004. The current titles and graphics were introduced in April 2008.
Parts of the Government-defined East Midlands region may variously also receive BBC Look North (from Leeds or Hull), Look East, South Today or even, towards the Buxton area of Derbyshire, North West Tonight. All of Northamptonshire can receive East Midlands Today, but most of this area is covered by Look East and South Today. Some parts of south and west Leicestershire receive the West Midlands edition of Midlands Today.
- On weekdays, breakfast bulletins air as part of BBC Breakfast at 26 and 56 minutes past the hour, between 6:26am and 9:00am.
- A 15 minute lunchtime bulletin airs at 1:30pm, following the BBC News at One
- A 30 minute main edition of East Midlands Today is broadcast every weeknight between 6.30pm and 7.00pm
- A 30 second headline update airs just before 8pm during the BBC News Summary
- A late night bulletin, separately branded as East Midlands Tonight, airs at 10.25pm on weekdays, following the BBC News at Ten
- A 5 minute bulletin on Saturday and Sunday evening
- A 5 minute bulletin is also broadcast on Sundays, following the BBC News at Ten
Former on air teamEdit