Double Barrel (film)
Double Barrel, also called Eratta Kuzhal, is a 2015 Indian Malayalam language gangster comedy film written and directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery. The film stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Indrajith Sukumaran, Arya, Chemban Vinod Jose, Sunny Wayne, Swathi Reddy, Isha Sharvani, Parvathi Menon, Rachana Narayanankutty and Asif Ali, and is jointly produced by Prithviraj, Santhosh Sivan, Arya and Shaji Nadesan under August Cinema, and Lijo Jose Pellissery under Amen Movie Monastery. Prashant Pillai composes the music while Abinandhan Ramanujam is the cinematographer. Double Barrel was made at an estimated cost of ₹16 crore (US$2.2 million).
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|Written by||Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|Music by||Prashant Pillai|
|Distributed by||August Cinema|
|Budget||₹16 crore (US$2.2 million)|
Laila and Majnu are two precious stones, which has value only if they are together. It is now possessed by an underworld don in Goa, who tries to sell it, in order not to lose it to his son, Gabbar, whom he despises. Don approaches two lowly thugs, Pancho and Vinci and offers it for a price of ₹10 crores. They agree and ask for a week's time to arrange the money. Billy, who is Gabbar's man, comes to know of this and offers Pancho and Vinci ₹100 crores to buy it. Pancho and Vinci gets ₹5 crores from Blacky, which actually belongs to the Tarkovs (the Russian mob in Goa). For the remaining ₹5 crores, they plan to rob the black money of Podiyadis (a local hawala gang in Kerala). While the deal happens, things get mixed up and lead to a big gang war between all the groups.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Pancho
- Indrajith Sukumaran as Vinci
- Arya as Majnu
- Chemban Vinod Jose as Diesel
- Sunny Wayne as Silent
- Master Varghese as Kid
- Isha Sharvani as Shaolin Sweety
- Swathi Reddy as Laila
- Asif Ali as He (Lover boy)
- Pearle Maaney as She (Lover girl)
- Vijay Babu as Billy
- Steev Thekkanath as Gabbar
- Thomas Berly as Don
- Sherrin Varghese as Tarkov
- Parvathi Menon as Lady Tarkov
- Anil Radhakrishnan Menon as Mario Benzo/Boss
- Bineesh Kodiyeri as World
- Sajid Yahiya as Chaplie
- Anil Murali as Podiyadi Soman
- Sabumon Abdusamad as Podiyadi Martin
- Rachana Narayanankutty as Kochumary
- Manu as Ummer
- John as Blacky
- Shaji Nadesan as Unnibaby
- Sujith Vasudev as Husband at hotel
- Muthumani as Wife at Hotel
- Baiju thekkekara as Jesus
- Shefin Anil as Jones
- Sunny as Uncle Django
- Nora Fatehi
Double Barrel was announced on 2014, as a gangster comedy movie in the backdrop of Goa, starring brothers Prithviraj and Indrajith Sukumaran. The climax was shot using four Red Dragon 6K cameras.
Veeyen of Nowrunning.com rated 1.5/5 and criticized the script, musical score, humour and direction, while concluding as "'Double Barrel' sends the spoof genre on a downward spiral with a relentlessly unexciting script. Real crazy indeed". Moviebuzz of Sify.com heavily criticized the film and described it as a "flawed experiment", adding that, "The script is messy and some of the characters are so badly written that they just come and go in between without any impact in the whole narrative. The overindulgence of the makers is evident, ignoring the hapless viewers in the process". IndiaGlitz.com rated 1.5/5 stars stating that "'Double Barrel' not only is the content insane, so is the presentation", and said that the film fails to engage. Asha Prakash of The Times of India rated 2.5/5 stars and said "Other than the visual spectacle of seeing some major actors in the industry in their clownish avatars in the most impressive of settings, there is nothing much to engage the viewer. The shooting and killing seem never-ending and the jokes tedious".
The film met with lukewarm responses in the box office. It found at the last position among the five Onam release films at the box office. The film grossed an amount of ₹2.90 crore (US$400,000) in 15 days of release against a budget of ₹16 crore (US$2.2 million). Surya TV bought the satellite rights.
Prashant Pillai who had composed for all of Lijo Jose Pelliserry's earlier films, composed the songs and background score of the film.
|1.||"Athala Pithala"||Shabaraeesh Varma||Arun Kamath, Shabaraeesh Varma, Rahul R Govinda, Gagan Baderiya||03:19|
|3.||"Amour Amour"||Gilles Denizot(French), Prashant Pillai(English)||Gilles Denizot||04:57|
|4.||"Mohabbat"||P.S.Rafeeque||Shahabaz Aman, Preeti Pilai||03:45|
|5.||"Selfie"||Shabaraeesh Varma||Shabaraeesh Varma, K S Krishnan, Prashant Pillai||02:45|
|6.||"Kadala Varuthu"||Shabaraeesh Varma||Shabaraeesh Varma||02:36|
|8.||"Shakeela"||Prashant Pillai, Gagan Baderiya||04:40|
|9.||"Athala Pithala Reprise"||Shabaraeesh Varma||Arun Kamath, Shabareesh Varma||01:58|
- "'Double Barrel' Movie Review by Audience". IBM Times.
- Express News Service (24 August 2015). "Star War on Screen". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 5 November 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- C Pillai, Radhika (24 July 2014). "Double Barrel to have a huge star cast!". The Times Of India. TNN. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Arya Enters Mollywood". Sify.com. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Lijo Pellissery to start `Double Barrel`". Sify. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Where the Wild Meets the Wit". The New Indian Express. 21 May 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Manu, Meera (25 April 2018). "A keen eye for cinematography". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- Veeyen (30 August 2015). "Double Barrel Review". Nowrunning.com. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Moviebuzz (30 August 2015). "Double Barrel". Sify.com. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- IndiaGlitz (August 29, 2015). "Double Barrel Movie Review - All Bangs But No Fire". Indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Asha Prakash (30 August 2015). "Double Barrel Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Aswini (12 September 2015). "ഓണം റിലീസ്: ബോക്സോഫീസ് കളക്ഷനില് മുന്നില് മോഹന്ലാലോ മമ്മൂട്ടിയോ?". Filmibeat.com. Retrieved 12 September 2015.