Dirt 3(Redirected from DiRT 3)
Feral Interactive (OS X)
|Series||Colin McRae Rally|
Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
In September 2011, there were reports that a network security problem on the website of an AMD promo had resulted in the loss of 3 million Dirt 3 keys to the public for use via the Steam platform that have then been posted in various places around the internet.
The main mode sees players earn reputation points in various events to gain the interest of sponsors who provide them with new vehicles. Flashbacks return from Colin McRae: Dirt 2, which can be used up to five times in any difficulty, but cost reputation points to use. A new gymkhana mode puts players in obstacle courses, challenging them to perform various tricks to earn points. Featured in the game are various party modes, involving events such as smashing wooden targets ("Invasion"), spreading a zombie infection ("Outbreak"), and a capture the flag-like game mode ("Transporter"). Other new features include a Hardcore mode which limits players to the cockpit view (known as "head cam") with no driver assists, the appearance of rain and snow, and the ability to upload replay clips directly to YouTube.
IGN gave the game a score of 8.5 and an Editor's Choice award, praising the gameplay and online functionality while criticising some of the design choices. GameTrailers gave the game a score of 9.2, praising the gameplay and presentation, although criticising the limits of the YouTube functionality. GamesRadar gave the game a score of 9/10, praising its impeccable gameplay though noting slightly lower structure presentation compared to the previous game. Official Xbox Magazine gave the game a score of 8.5/10, hailing its impressive car design and smooth handling, while criticising the lack of dynamism in the surfaces and poor social features.
Following reports that the PC version of the game was unplayable due to the game's reliance on the now defunct Games for Windows – Live software, a spokesperson for Codemasters issued a statement on the Steam community in January 2014 stating that Codemasters were in the process of removing Games for Windows – Live from the game, and would announce completion of the task at a later date. On 1 April 2015, the work has been completed and GFWL has been removed from the game.
On November 11, 2016, DiRT 3: Complete Edition was featured in a Humble Bundle promo during which free Steam keys for the game were given out, causing a spike in popularity. Mods such as ACAT (Any Car, Any Track) have risen in popularity since the game's release but the modding community is mostly non-existent at the moment.
A 'Complete Edition' of the game was announced by Codemasters on 9 February 2012, with a trailer released on YouTube on 8 March 2012. Consisting of the game and its associated DLC packaged together, the Complete Edition adds several tracks and vehicles. It was released Friday 9 March in Europe and 20 March in North America. On 8 January 2015, Feral Interactive announced the Complete Edition for Mac OS X. On 13 January 2015, justbiglee, a Community Manager on Steam forums confirmed that all existing owners of Dirt 3 on Steam will get the Complete Edition of the game for free. Dirt 3: Complete Edition was released for OS X by Feral Interactive on 29 January 2015. On 1 April 2015, the GFWL-less DiRT 3 Complete Edition has been released on Steam on PC. The Complete Edition was removed from the Steam marketplace in early 2017 presumably due to expiring licenses for the cars.
- "Codemasters: Taking aim | Game development | Features by Develop". Develop-online.net. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- Wesley Yin-Poole (16 December 2010). "DiRT 3 release date announced News – Page 1". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- Ivan, Tom (12 March 2010). "Dirt 3 Confirmed | Edge Magazine". Edge-online.com. Archived from the original on 25 December 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- Phillips, Tom (6 September 2011). "3 million digital DiRT 3 copies robbed News • News • PC •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Rumour: 3 million DiRT 3 Steam keys leaked online". VG247. 6 September 2011. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Joao Diniz Sanches (17 November 2010). "eurogamer.net". eurogamer.net. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- Eykemans, Peter (24 May 2011). "Dirt 3 Review". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "GameTrailers". YouTube. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "DiRT 3 – GamesRadar+". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Official Xbox Magazine – GamesRadar+". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "GFWL Removal and More of Your Frequently Asked Questions Answered :: DiRT 3 General Discussions". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Games with Gold Just Got Better with Backwards Compatibility". Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Dirt 3 Complete Edition expands the award-winning off-road racer with cars and routes". Codemasters. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "DiRT 3 – Complete Edition Trailer". YouTube. 8 March 2012.
- "Get your slide on: DiRT 3 Complete Edition carves a path to the Mac". Feral Interactive. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "GFWL Removal and More of Your Frequently Asked Questions Answered". 13 January 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "DiRT 3 Complete Edition Powers Onto The Mac Today". gamersftw.co.uk. 29 January 2015. Archived from the original on 1 February 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "@dirtgame twitter channel – Complete Edition release". 1 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Grid, Dirt 3 and F1 2013 removed from Steam". pcgamer.com. 2 January 2017.
- "DiRT3". Gaming News. Blue Ripple Sound. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Official website (in English)