Darryl Williams (American football)
Darryl Edwin Williams (born January 8, 1970) is an American former professional football player who was a safety in the National Football League (NFL) for ten seasons during the 1990s and early 2000s. He played college football for the Miami Hurricanes, was recognized as an All-American, and was a member of two national championship teams. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round of the 1992 NFL Draft, and played professionally for the Bengals and the Seattle Seahawks.
|No. 31, 33|
|Born:||January 8, 1970|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||American (Hialeah, Florida)|
|NFL Draft:||1992 / Round: 1 / Pick: 28|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Williams received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida, where he played for coach Jimmy Johnson and coach Dennis Erickson's Hurricanes teams from 1988 to 1991. He was a member of the Hurricanes' national championship teams in 1989 and 1991, and was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American in 1991.
First stint with BengalsEdit
The Cincinnati Bengals selected Williams in the first round of the 1992 NFL Draft, with the 28th pick overall, and he played for the Bengals from 1992 to 1995. During his first four seasons with the team he started 60 of 64 games in which he played, recording 402 tackles, nine interceptions, and 6.5 quarterback sacks.
Williams joined the Seattle Seahawks in 1996. In his second year with the team he made the Pro Bowl after recording 96 tackles and eight interceptions. Overall, he played four years for the Seahawks from 1996 to 1999 starting 60 of 61 games, recording 348 tackles and 20 interceptions. He was released by the Seahawks after the 1999 season.
Second stint with BengalsEdit
Williams re-signed with the Bengals before the 2000 season. He spent the next two years with the Bengals starting 17 of 31 games, recording 126 tackles, two interceptions, and 3.5 sacks.
After the 2001 season Williams retired after 10 years in the NFL. He finished his career starting 137 of 156 games, and recorded 876 tackles, 31 interceptions, and 9.5 sacks.
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Darryl Williams. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Darryl Williams Archived 2012-04-03 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1992 National Football League Draft. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Darryl Williams. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Darryl Williams Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 8 April 2014.