Crunchbase is a platform for finding business information about private and public companies.
Type of site
|Data as a service|
|Created by||Michael Arrington|
|Alexa rank||2,034 (September 2018[update])|
Crunchbase information includes investments and funding information, founding members and individuals in leadership positions, mergers and acquisitions, news, and industry trends. Originally built to track startups, the Crunchbase website contains information on public and private companies on a global scale.
Some of the noteworthy competitors of Crunchbase include Tracxn, CB Insights, Mattermark, and Datafox.
Crunchbase sources its data in four ways: the venture program, machine learning, an in-house data team, and the Crunchbase community. Members of the public can submit information to the Crunchbase database. These submissions are subject to registration, social validation, and are often reviewed by a moderator before being accepted for publication.
Crunchbase was originally founded in 2007 by Michael Arrington, as a place to track the startups that parent company TechCrunch featured in articles. From 2007 to September 2015, TechCrunch maintained control of the Crunchbase database.
In September 2010, AOL acquired TechCrunch and subsequently Crunchbase as one of TechCrunch's portfolio companies. In November 2013, AOL was in dispute with start-up Pro Populi over the company's use of the entire Crunchbase dataset in apps that Pro Populi developed. One of these apps, known as People+ Pro Populi, was represented by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
In 2014, Crunchbase added incubators, venture capital partners, and a new leaderboard feature to the startup database.
In 2015, Crunchbase separated from AOL/Verizon/TechCrunch to become a private entity. In September 2015, in conjunction with the spin out, Crunchbase announced $6.5 million in funding raised from Emergence Capital. This was shortly followed with a follow-up round of $2 million in November 2015.
In 2016, the company rebranded from CrunchBase to Crunchbase and launched its first product: Crunchbase Pro.
In 2018, Crunchbase launched "Crunchbase Marketplace".
- Crunchbase Pro
- Designed for advanced users, this tool offers more in-depth search capabilities, market trend analytics, and alerts to track industries, people, companies, and investors.
- Crunchbase Marketplace
- Marketplace allows users to search and analyze companies with integrated third-party data sources. Users can also access additional data like web traffic, tech stack, and IT budgets.
- Crunchbase Enterprise
- Enterprise lets users perform typical business intelligence and analytics queries, such as setting up and following investment trends, identifying and tracking growth industries, and identifying companies that are close to their own.
- Crunchbase for Applications
- This tool allows users to integrate Crunchbase data into their product, providing their customers the ability to automatically contextualize prospects to prioritize their sales pipeline and identify key buy signals.
Crunchbase has more than 560,000 active community contributors on the platform. Over five million users access the Crunchbase website each month.
- "crunchbase.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Tracxn: Driven by startup data". www.fortuneindia.com. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "Announcing The CrunchBase Venture Program". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- Kravets, David. "AOL Smacks Startup for Using CrunchBase Content It Gave Away". Wired. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "CrunchBase Grows Its Global Reach, Adding Incubators, VC Partners And A New Leaderboard Feature". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "AOL/Verizon Completes Spinout Of CrunchBase Funded By Emergence Capital". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "Emergence Capital Partners With AOL to Spin Out CrunchBase and Invests in Stand-Alone Company". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "CrunchBase Pro brings new search and analysis features for power users". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "With $18 Million Series B Funding, Crunchbase Accelerates Development of New SaaS Business Products and Focuses on Diversity in Hiring to Grow" (Press release). Business Wire. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- Zakrzewski, Cat (2017-04-06). "Crunchbase Expands Paid Services, Raises $18 Million". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "Crunchbase opens a marketplace for 3rd-party data in bid to be the 'master database for companies'". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "Crunchbase raises $18M, debuts Enterprise business intelligence, plans 'Marketplace' for 3rd party data". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "CrunchBase, People+, and the EFF". Crunchbase Marketing. Retrieved 2018-06-14.