Cow Creek (South Umpqua River tributary)
Cow Creek is a medium-sized river in southwestern Oregon, a tributary of the South Umpqua River. It drains an area of over 400 square miles (1,000 km2) on the western foothills of the Cascade Range and within the Oregon Coast Range. Although the vast majority of the basin is within Douglas County, a tiny portion in the southeast extends into northern Jackson County.
|Source||South Fork Cow Creek|
|• location||A mile north of Round Top, Jackson County, Umpqua National Forest|
|• elevation||4,000 ft (1,200 m)|
|2nd source||East Fork Cow Creek|
|• location||Richter Mountain, Umpqua National Forest|
|• elevation||4,500 ft (1,400 m)|
|Source confluence||About 3 miles (4.8 km) east-southeast of Devils Flat|
|• location||Umpqua National Forest, Douglas County|
|• elevation||2,402 ft (732 m)|
|Mouth||South Umpqua River|
|Canyonville, Douglas County|
|636 ft (194 m)|
|Length||44 mi (71 km), East-west|
|Basin size||456 sq mi (1,180 km2)|
|• average||856 cu ft/s (24.2 m3/s)|
|• minimum||7.4 cu ft/s (0.21 m3/s)|
|• maximum||38,400 cu ft/s (1,090 m3/s)|
|River system||South Umpqua River|
The stream rises in the Umpqua National Forest at the confluence of South Fork Cow Creek and East Fork Cow Creek. The south fork, which is much larger, is sometimes considered the main stem. In its first few miles the creek flows west through an agricultural valley and through Galesville Reservoir. Cow Creek runs alongside Interstate 5 for several miles and receives Windy Creek from the right at Glendale, Oregon. The stream then bends northwest into a canyon, receiving West Fork Cow Creek on the left and Middle Creek from the right. It then continues northwards, bending steadily eastwards and doubling back on its former course. The river emerges from the mountains near Riddle, and bends sharply south around a ridge, joining the South Umpqua about 2 miles (3 km) west of Canyonville.
- "South Fork Cow Creek". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1986-05-22. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "East Fork Cow Creek". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1980-11-28. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "Cow Creek". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 1980-11-28. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "USGS Gage #14310000 on Cow Creek near Riddle, Oregon –– Water-Data Report 2009" (PDF). National Water Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- USGS Topo Maps for United States (Map). Cartography by United States Geological Survey. ACME Mapper. Retrieved 2010-08-23.