Class of '83
Class of '83 is a 2020 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film produced by Red Chillies Entertainment and directed by Atul Sabharwal for Netflix. The film is based on the book "The Class of 83" and tells the story of a hero policeman shunted to a punishment posting as the dean of the police academy. Class of '83 is Netflix's third collaboration with Red Chillies Entertainment, following the original series Bard of Blood and Betaal. The film premiered on 21 August 2020 on Netflix.
|Class of '83|
|Directed by||Atul Sabharwal|
|Written by||Abhijeet Deshpande|
|Based on||The Class of 83|
by Hussain Zaidi
|Edited by||Manas Mittal|
|Music by||Viju Shah|
A hero policeman shunted to a punishment posting as the Dean of the police academy decides to punish the corrupt bureaucracy and its criminal allies in return by training five lethal assassin policemen. But, like all good plans, it only works for a while until the fire that he has ignited threatens to burn his own house down.— Netflix
Class of 83, which is based on a book authored by leading crime journalist Hussain Zaidi, is set in Bombay in the 1980s when the underworld’s stranglehold on the city was becoming hard to break. Dozens of young men rendered jobless as a result of the ongoing mill strike were being lured into joining local gangs, and the nexus between powerful politicians and criminal gang leaders made it hard for the police to weed out the problem. With this as the backdrop, the film follows an ideological cop-turned-trainer who moulds five cadets into encounter specialists.
Yanked off the field for doing his job with more integrity than those in power would like him to, upright officer Vijay Singh (Bobby Deol) lands a ‘punishment posting’ as the dean of the Police Training Centre in Nashik. Convinced that the only way to restore order in a flawed system is to fix it from the inside, he handpicks a clutch of bold young officers and trains them to bend the law in service of the larger good.
Inspired from real accounts of the city’s first encounter specialists, the film depicts how the officers shrewdly planned and executed hits while staying within the system and following all necessary protocols. But then it quickly slips into a predictable rise-and-fall-and-rise narrative with egos and corruption breaking up the friends, and a last-ditch shot at redemption triggered by their mentor.
- Bobby Deol as Vijay Singh
- Geetika Tyagi as Sudha Singh, the wife of Vijay Singh.
- Anup Soni as Manohar Patkar
- Joy Sengupta as Raghav Desai
- Vishwajeet Pradhan as Mangesh Dixit
- Hans Dev Sharma as YP Mathur
- Hitesh Bhojraj as Vishnu Varde
- Sameer Paranjape as Aslam Khan
- Ninad Mahajani as Laxman Jadhav
- Prithvik Pratap as Janardan Surve
- Bhupendra Jadawat as Pramod Shukla
- Abhishek Bhalerao as Bombay Police with Vishnu Varde
- Mohammad Tiregar as Atul Sabharwal
The filming began in the first week of May 2019.
- "Bobby Deol starrer Class Of '83 to premiere on August 21 on Netflix". Bollywood Hungama. 6 August 2020. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "Class of '83 (2020)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Bobby Deol to Make His Digital Debut with Shah Rukh Khan's Netflix Original Class of '83". 6 May 2019. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "Class Of '83 First Look: Bobby Deol As "A Dean Who Is A Class Apart" In Red Chillies' Cop Drama". NDTV.com.
- "Shah Rukh Khan's Class Of 83 First Look OUT! Bobby Deol Plays A Dean In Uniform". Box Office Worldwide. 16 July 2020.
- Ghosh, Devarsi. "In Atul Sabharwal's 'Class of '83', a tragic hero 'who loses a lot before gaining something'". Scroll.in.
- "Shah Rukh Khan production venture for Netflix, Class of 83, goes on floor". 5 May 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Bobby Deol on Class of '83: Perfect way to change audience's perception". mid-day. 19 August 2020.