ClamWin Free Antivirus
|Developer(s)||ClamWin Pty Ltd|
0.103.2 / May 4, 2021
|Written in||C++ and Python|
|Operating system||Windows 98 and newer|
|License||GNU General Public License|
- Scanning scheduler (only effective with user logged in).
- Automatic virus database updates on a regular basis.
- Standalone virus-scanner.
- Context menu integration for Windows Explorer.
- Add-in for Microsoft Outlook.
- A portable version that can be used from a USB flash drive.
There are Firefox extensions that allow the users to process downloaded files with ClamWin.
ClamWin Free Antivirus scans on demand; it does not automatically scan files as they are read and written.
ClamWin Free Antivirus has a virus database which is updated automatically when it detects connection to the Internet. A small balloon tip appears on the taskbar icon indicating completion status of the update process. It retries to establish connection with the server if it fails to download the updates first time.
Historically ClamWin Free Antivirus has suffered from poor detection rates and its scans have been slow and less effective than some other antivirus programs. For example, in 2009 ClamWin Free Antivirus failed to detect almost half of the trojan horses, password stealers, and other malware in AV-TEST's "zoo" of malware samples.
In the 1–21 June 2008 test performed by Virus.gr, ClamWin Free Antivirus version 0.93 detected 54.68% of all threats and ranked 37th out of 49 products tested; the best scored over 99%.
In the 10 August-05 September 2009 test performed by Virus.gr, ClamWin Free Antivirus version 0.95.2 detected 52.48% of all threats and ranked 43 out of 55 products tested; the best scored 98.89%.
- "About ClamWin Free Antivirus". ClamWin Pty Ltd. Archived from the original on 25 January 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- dynclient (January 2010). "Clam Sentinel". Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Winpooch". Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "ClamWin Free Antivirus (2009) - reviews - Security - PC World". Pcworld.idg.com.au. 2009-09-01. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Security Central Channel". softfamed. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "June 2008 comparison of effectiveness of antivirus programs". Virus.gr. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "2009-08, Virus.gr 10 August-05 September comparison of effectiveness of antivirus programs". Virus.gr. Archived from the original on 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "ClamWin Antivirus". Download.cnet.com. 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ClamWin.|