B-Lynch suture(Redirected from Christopher B-Lynch)
The B-Lynch suture or B-Lynch procedure is a form of compression suture used in obstetrics. It is used to mechanically compress an atonic uterus in the face of severe postpartum hemorrhage. It was developed by Christopher B-Lynch, a consultant obstetrician and gynaecological surgeon based at Milton Keynes General Hospital, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. B-Lynch was born in 1947 in Sierra Leone with the birth name of Christopher Balogun-Lynch.
The technique was first described in 1997. It can stop postpartum hemorrhage without the need for pelvic surgery and potentially preserving fertility. It is regarded as "the best form of surgical approach for controlling atonic PPH as it helps in preserving the anatomical integrity of the uterus."
Absorbable suture can be left in situ, and would typically not lead to problems with future pregnancies.
- El-Hamamy E, B-Lynch C (2009). "A worldwide review of the uses of the uterine compression suture techniques as alternative to hysterectomy in the management of severe post-partum haemorrhage". Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 25 (2): 143–149. doi:10.1080/01443610500040752. ISSN 0144-3615.
- "Professor Christopher B-Lynch: A worthy son of Sierra Leone; an inspiration to us". Awareness Times. November 2, 2006. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- B-Lynch, C; et al. (March 1997). "The B-Lynch surgical technique for the control of massive postpartum haemorrhage: an alternative to hysterectomy? Five cases reported". British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 104 (3): 372–375. doi:10.1111/j.1471-0528.1997.tb11471.x.
- Gibbs, Ronald S.; et al. (2008). Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology (10 ed.). Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. p. 455. ISBN 978-0-7817-6937-2.
- Studd, John; et al. (2006). Progress in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 17. Elsevier Science Limited. p. 269. ISBN 978-0-443-10313-1.
- Saxena, Richa (2011). Tips and Tricks in Operative Obstetrics and Gynecology. Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub. p. 243. ISBN 978-9350252383.
- Grotegut, C; et al. (Oct 2004). "Erosion of a B-Lynch suture through the uterine wall: a case report". J Reprod Med. 49 (10): 849–52.