A Chief Scout is the principal or head scout for an organization such as the military, colonial administration or expedition or a talent scout in performing, entertainment or creative arts, particularly sport. In sport, a Chief Scout can be the principal talent scout seeking new players or a tactical scout. 
A Chief Scout or Chief of Scouts was a person in charge of intelligence, reconnaissance, and scouting in the English Navy, armies or in expeditions, colonies or frontiers such as in the Americas and southern Africa. The title dates from at least the English Civil War..
- See: Frederick Russell Burnham, Chief Scout of the British South Africa Company and Chief of Scouts to field marshal Lord Roberts during the Boer War.
Some organisations in the Scout Movement adopted the title Chief Scout for the uniformed head of the organization. In some countries where Scouting is particularly well-established, the Chief Scout may be the head of state.
- Chief Scout (The Scout Association)
- Chief Scout (Scouting Ireland)
- Chief Scout Executive for the administrative head of the Boy Scouts of America
- List of Chief Scouts of the Polish Scouting Association
- Robert Baden-Powell, first Chief Scout of The Boy Scouts Association who was proclaimed "Chief Scout of the World".
- "Celtic talent scout John Park leaves his position at Parkhead 10 years after being head hunted by Bhoys". Daily Record. 14 October 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Celtic's chief scout John Park is leaving Parkhead
- "Scandinavian Scouting Agency". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
Scandinavian scouting agency chief scout Øyvind Johansen together with Mohammed Abdellaoue... Scandinavian scouting agency chief scout Øyvind Johansen together with Patrick Vieira... Scandinavische scouting bureau, chief scout Øyvind Christoffer Johansen samen met Ruben Yttergård Jenssen.
- Kempson, Russell (20 February 2013). "Real Football: Sampling the hectic life of a chief scout". EFL.com. English Football League. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Week 2 - How do Professional Clubs Scout?" (PDF). Retrieved 4 January 2017.
The Chief Scout (CS) is usually a full time employed member of the staff and is responsible for liaising with the club's technical staff (Technical Director, Academy Director, Manager etc) and setting the scouting assignments for the clubs network of other scouts.
- "Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino 'very disappointed' by chief scout Paul Mitchell decision to leave club". TalkSport. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Beesley, Chris (9 October 2016). "Chief scout Atkins quits Everton for Aston Villa". LiverpoolEcho.co.uk. Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Amako, Uche (3 October 2016). "Manchester United send chief scout to watch winger: Three Premier League clubs also keen". express.co.uk. Daily Express. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Daly, V (21 October 2016). "Celtic move closer to appointing new chief scout". msn.com. Archived from the original on 5 January 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2017.