Cherry Spring School (Gillespie County, Texas)
Cherry Spring School is at 5973 Ranch to Market Road 2323 in Gillespie County, in the U.S. state of Texas. It was consolidated with Fredericksburg Independent School District in 1962. The building is now used as a community center. The school was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1988. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places listings in Gillespie County, Texas on May 6, 2005.
Cherry Spring School
Cherry Spring School
|Location||5973 RM 2323,|
Cherry Spring, Texas
|Area||2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||05000389|
|Added to NRHP||May 6, 2005|
The Cherry Spring School is part of the larger Cherry Mountain School Complex, which also includes Das Alte Schulhaus. The complex was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1992. Das Alte Schulhaus, the Old Cherry Spring School, served the children of the community 1860–1878, before being converted for church services. The land had been donated by German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall von Bieberstein. Das Alte Schulhaus was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1985.
From 1878 to 1885, classes for children of German immigrants were held in private homes. The second Cherry Spring School was built in 1885 on land donated by H. Bratherich. Teachers would often board with area residents. The end of each school year in May was a community celebratory event with baseball, barbecue, a play, and an oompah band.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "RTHL Cherry Spring School". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- "NRHP Cherry Spring School". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- "Cherry Mountain School Complex". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- Wilhelm Marschall von Bieberstein at Find a Grave
- "Das Alte Schoolhaus". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- "Cherry Spring School and Community Center". Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools. Archived from the original on March 3, 2013. Retrieved December 23, 2012.