Charles H. Lindsey
Charles H. Lindsey
Charles Hodgson Lindsey
|Known for||Revised Report on Algol 68|
|Institutions||Mathematical Laboratory, Cambridge|
Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester
He was an editor of the Revised Report on Algol 68, and co-wrote a ground breaking book on the language An Informal Introduction to Algol 68, which was unusual because it was written so that it could be read horizontally (i.e., serially, in the normal manner) or vertically (i.e., starting with section 1.1, then 2.1, then 3.1, etc., before going back to section 1.2, then 2.2, and so on) depending on how a reader wanted to learn the language.
He wrote the complete History of ALGOL 68 in:
He was involved with developing international standards in programming and informatics, as a member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) IFIP Working Group 2.1 on Algorithmic Languages and Calculi, which specified, maintains, and supports the programming languages ALGOL 60 and ALGOL 68.
- van Wijngaarden, Adriaan; Mailloux, Barry James; Peck, John Edward Lancelot; Koster, Cornelis Hermanus Antonius; Sintzoff, Michel; Lindsey, Charles Hodgson; Meertens, Lambert Guillaume Louis Théodore; Fisker, Richard G., eds. (1976). Revised Report on the Algorithmic Language ALGOL 68 (PDF). Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-0-387-07592-1. OCLC 1991170. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 April 2019. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- Marcotty, Michael; Ledgard, Henry F. (1987). The world of programming languages. Springer-Verlag. p. 324. ISBN 978-0-387-96440-9.
- Lindsey, Charles H.; van der Meulen, S. G. (1977). An Informal Introduction to Algol 68. Amsterdam; Oxford: North-Holland Publishing. ISBN 0-7204-0726-5.
- Jeuring, Johan; Meertens, Lambert; Guttmann, Walter (17 August 2016). "Profile of IFIP Working Group 2.1". Foswiki. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Swierstra, Doaitse; Gibbons, Jeremy; Meertens, Lambert (2 March 2011). "ScopeEtc: IFIP21: Foswiki". Foswiki. Retrieved 13 October 2020.