The Type foundry Amsterdam (Dutch: Lettergieterij Amsterdam) was a Dutch type foundry that contributed a number of original type designs early in the 20th century. It eventually became a division of Tetterode. On October 1, 2000, Tetterode transferred the rights for all of its typefaces to Linotype.
|Headquarters||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
In the 20th century only two major typefoundries survived in the Netherlands. In Haarlem the old typefoundry of Koninklijke Enschedé & Zonen was their competitor. In order to divide the market, these firms kept a certain difference in type-height. Amsterdam: 66 + 1/24 point Didot, and Enschedé: 66 - 1/24 point Didot. Enough to prevent the combined use of their type.
- Aigrette, script
- Bristol (1929).
- Bodoni light
- Bodoni semi bold
- Bodoni Bold
- Carlton (1929), an in-line version of Bristol.
- Choc (1964, Roger Excoffon) originally released by Fonderie Olive in 1955.
- Columbia, originally cast in 1904 as Kolonial by the Woellmer Type Foundry, also cast as Buffalo by the H.C. Hansen Type Foundry of Boston.
- Contura (1966, Dick Dooijes)
- De Roos (1947, S.H. de Roos).
- De Roos roman
- De Roos italic
- De Roos initials
- Egmont (1933, S.H. de Roos), later copied by Intertype (1937).
- Egmont light roman & italic
- Egmont bold
- Egmont inline capitals
- Egyptian Bold, a nineteenth century design.
- Erasmus mediaeval
- Erasmus mediaeval roman
- Erasmus mediaeval italic
- Erasmus mediaeval initials (2 series)
- Excelsior, script
- semi bold
- Garamont, based on the ATF design of 1917.
- Gracia, script
- Gravure (1912), a copy of G. Peignot et Fils' Moreau-le-Jeune.
- series 1
- series 2
- Gravure open
- Gravure decorative italic capitals
- condensed light
- small bold
- card grotesque caps light
- card grotesque caps bold
- Hermes (1924), a tooled version of Caslon.
- Hidalgo (1939, Stefan Schlesinger.
- Hollandsche Mediaeval
- Hollandsche Mediaeval roman
- Hollandsche Mediaeval italic
- Hollandsche Mediaeval semi bold
- Hollandsche Mediaeval ornamented initials & initialen
- Impressum (1962, Baum + Bauer), originally cut for Stempel Type Foundry.
- Libra, S.H. de Roos
- condensed bold
- small capitals
- small capitals light
- inline capitals
- Old Dutch
- Pressa, originally cut by Intertype as Ideal News.
- Romaans (Riegerl Weissenborn), based upon Schelter & Giesecke's Romanisch and later copied as Intertype's Lormier.
- Reiner script
- Rondo, script
- semi bold
These designs were produced by the Type foundry Amsterdam for photocomposition:
- "Tetterode". MyFonts. 2011-11-22. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Jaspert, W. Pincus, W. Turner Berry and A.F. Johnson. The Encyclopedia of Type Faces. Blandford Press Lts.: 1953, 1983, ISBN 0-7137-1347-X, p. 2408-249
- Choice of Modern types, second revised edition, character proof of Lettergieterij Amsterdam, (no date)