BricsCAD(Redirected from Bricscad)
BricsCAD is a software application for computer-aided design (CAD) developed by Bricsys. The company was founded in 2002 by Erik de Keyser, a longtime CAD entrepreneur. In 2011 Bricsys acquired the intellectual property rights from Ledas for constraints-based parametric design tools permitting the development of applications in the areas of direct modeling and assembly design. Bricsys is headquartered in Ghent, Belgium, has additional development centers in Nizhny Novgorod and Novosibirsk, Russia; Bucharest, Romania and Singapore. Bricsys is a founding member of the Open Design Alliance.
18.1.05-1 English (Windows x64) / November 17, 2017
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, OS X|
|Size||259 MB (Windows)
133-192 MB (Linux)
209 MB (OS X)
- BricsCAD Classic provides familiar 2D CAD drafting functionality, native DWG read/write, and incorporates a full LISP API for customization and automation of repetitive tasks.
- BricsCAD Pro contains all the functionality of BricsCAD Classic, and adds 3D Direct Modeling, 2D and 3D hardware libraries, high-definition rendering, a render materials library, mechanical assembly viewing and an AutoCAD ObjectARX-compatible development system that supports hundreds of third-party application programs.
- BricsCAD Platinum contains the features and functions of BricsCAD Pro, and includes 3D constraint system creation, surface entity creation and lofting, deformable modeling, imported geometry healing, automatic design intent recognition, assemblies creation & editing. BricsCAD Platinum is also the platform for add-on applications for BIM and mechanical product design.
In addition, Bricsys builds three add-on modules for the core BricsCAD product:
- BricsCAD BIM brings Building Information Modeling to the .dwg file format. It includes an advanced 3D sketch modeler with full Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) certified BIM functionality. All building elements – walls, floors, columns, windows doors, etc. – are automatically classified. Automatically generated 2D sections show all building details – keeping everything synced with the final construction document set.
- BricsCAD Sheet Metal, provides tools for creating sheet metal parts with a focus on manufacturability. The product uses lofted surfaces to create sheet metal features. This methodology assists in maintaining the model's integrity as a design is created, un-folded, re-folded and modified. BricsCAD Sheet Metal also exports ready-to-manufacture parts to specific CAD systems. BricsCAD Sheet Metal functionality is included in BricsCAD Platinum, and is enabled by purchasing a license activation key.
- BricsCAD Communicator, imports and exports 3D CAD data to allow data exchange with most major Mechanical CAD programs (e.g. CATIA, PTC Creo, Solid Edge, NX/UG, SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor) and several industry-standard neutral file formats. BricsCAD Communicator is a separate software download from the core BricsCAD product, and is enabled by purchasing a license activation key.
All three BricsCAD Editions use the Open Design Alliance Teigha software development platform, giving the products native read and write capability of the DWG file format, made popular by Autodesk's AutoCAD. BricsCAD V18 reads and writes DWG files directly, from AutoCAD Release 12 through 2018. The software is capable of most contemporary AutoCAD release functions. BricsCAD is localized in 18 language versions.
Bricsys also provides a cloud collaboration SaaS (software as a service) called Bricsys 24/7.
- Bricsys 24/7 is built to help teams work together on construction projects. Share any file or document with role-based permissions and integrated, browser-based viewing. Bricsys 24/7 can display over 70 file types, including 2D and 3D CAD models. Explore, annotate and section 3D models interactively. An integrated messaging system, team calendars and project address books give your team a single platform for all project communications. Bricsys 24/7's core goal is to deliver cloud-based place for collecting, managing and sharing BIM data - and to be available, 24 by 7. In Building Information Modeling terms, this is known as a Common Data Environment, or CDE.
APIs and CustomizationEdit
BricsCAD implements many AutoCAD Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). In general, BricsCAD provides a nearly identical subset of AutoCAD-equivalent function names. In the case of non-compiled AutoCAD applications (e.g. LISP, Diesel and DCL), these programs can be loaded and executed directly in BricsCAD. Specifically regarding LISP routines, BricsCAD supports AutoCAD Vl, Vlr, Vla and Vlax functions. Bricsys also supports developers who use wish to use LISP encryption, but as expected, BricsCAD cannot read AutoCAD FAS (compiled LISP) files.
Most compiled application programs developed for AutoCAD's Advanced Runtime eXtension (ObjectARX) facility require only a recompilation with the BricsCAD Runtime eXtension (BRX) libraries. BRX is 100% code-compatible with AutoCAD's ARX. Bricsys also supports the deprecated Autodesk Development System (ADS) through BricsCAD's (also deprecated) SDS interface.
Bricsys is focused on the development of the core CAD software platform and works with application development partners to bring to market solutions for the AEC (Architecture, Engineering and Construction), Civil, GIS and mechanical CAD markets.
LEDAS company is a part of BricsCAD ecosystem involved in developing special modules for this software (including geometry comparison functionality), reselling of geometric solvers LGS 2D and 3D, and satisfying custom feature requests of corporative BricsCAD users. LGS 2D and 3D are components inside BricsCAD that enable parametric drawing/sketching in 2D, 3D sketching and surface design, 3D direct modeling, 3D feature modeling, 3D assembly design, 3D kinematic analysis and motion simulation, knowledge-based engineering and product optimization, etc. Now Bricsys offers to license and embed LGS 2D and LGS 3D into any end-user software, the list of licensees includes ASCON (CAD), Cimatron (CAD/CAM), etc.
- Erik de Keyser, CEO, Founder of Bricsys
- Can You Make Money Selling $500 CAD Software? The Bricsys Story, CAD Insider, October 3, 2012.
- Randall Newton, Bricsys aims to expand its low-cost CAD empire, GraphicSpeak - A Jon Peddie Research Publication, October 11, 2012.
- Randall Newton, Bricsys delivers viable alternative universe for DWG-based CAD development, GraphicSpeak - A Jon Peddie Research Publication, October 26, 2011.
- Get brisk with Bricscad, Geospatial Today
- Menhirs NV Acquires Intellectual Property Rights from LEDAS
- Ralph Grabowski, Exclusive Q&A: What it means, now that Bricsys bought IP from Ledas, WorldCAD Access, October 5, 2011.
- Open Design Alliance - ODA Members
- "News - Bricsys joins buildingSMART to give the .dwg community access to the huge potential of the BIM approach". bricsys.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.