Bill Brown (goalkeeper)
William Dallas Fyfe Brown (8 October 1931 – 30 November 2004) was a Scottish football goalkeeper.
|Full name||William Dallas Fyfe Brown|
|Date of birth||8 October 1931|
|Place of birth||Arbroath, Angus, Scotland|
|Date of death||30 November 2004(aged 73)|
|Place of death||Simcoe, Ontario, Canada|
|1956–1958||Scottish League XI||8||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Brown played for Dundee between 1949 and 1959, and for Tottenham Hotspur between 1959 and 1966. He was part of the Spurs team that won the Double of Football League and FA Cup in 1961 - the first club to achieve the feat in the 20th century. He was also capped 28 times for the Scotland national team.
Brown was signed in 1959 for £16,500 to Tottenham Hotspur in June 1959. He was at White Hart Lane for seven years, winning the Double in 1961 missing only one game the entire season. He also helped the team win the FA Cup again in 1962,and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1963. He produced one of his best performances in the match against Bratislava in quarter-final of 1962–63 European Cup Winners' Cup.
He suffered injuries in the mid-1960s, and with the arrival of Pat Jennings to the team, he began to lose his place in the starting lineup. He played his last game for the club in a friendly in October 1966, and transferred to Northampton Town the same month.
Brown was capped 28 times for Scotland and played in the 1958 World Cup. He also played for his country at 'B' team, youth and schoolboy level. Brown also represented the Scottish League XI while he was with Dundee.
Northampton and Toronto FalconsEdit
After he finished playing, he stayed in Canada and worked as a property developer and for the government. He died in 2004, aged 73. The news broke just before Tottenham played a League Cup tie against Liverpool and, as a tribute, they wore black armbands for the occasion.
- "Bill Brown". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Goalkeeping great Bill Brown dies". BBC Sport. BBC. 1 December 2004. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Goodwin, Bob (29 August 1988). Spurs: A Complete Record 1882-1988. Breedon Books. p. 76. ISBN 978-0-907969-42-6.
- "Scotland FL Players by Appearances". Londonhearts.com. London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Scottish goalie comes to Canada". CBC. 5 May 1967. Archived from the original on 17 June 2008. Retrieved 16 July 2008.
- Glanville, Brian (7 December 2004). "Bill Brown". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 December 2014.