Lightweight Co., Ltd (株式会社ライトウェイト), formerly Bergsala Lightweight (バーグサラ・ライトウェイト) is a developer of video games. While the company developed innovative fighting games with samurai themes, such as the Bushido Blade series and the Kengo series, it is known for its Hello Kitty games.
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||November 22, 1995|
|Headquarters||Ebisu, Shibuya |
|Hideo Ooishi (president)|
|Products||Bushido Blade series|
The company was founded on November 22, 1995 in Meguroku, Tokyo under managing director Tetsuo Mizuno. The developer Square Co., Ltd. initially had a 40% stake in Lightweight. Lightweight cut its ties with Square in 1998, and in March 1999, Naotaka Ueda was appointed as CEO and director of the company. The following month, developer Genki acquired a 40% stake in the company. In March 2001 Lightweight became a wholly owned subsidiary of Genki, but dissolved this connection on March 31, 2006 when Lightweight was bought by Index Visual & Games, Ltd. Ueda retired in his position in November 2008.
On November 3, 2017 the name of company went back to Lightweight Co., Ltd.
- Bushido Blade (1997) PlayStation
- Bushido Blade 2 (1998) PlayStation
- Kengo: Master of Bushido (2000) PlayStation 2
- Kabuki Warriors (2001) Xbox
- Kengo 2: Legacy of the Blade (2002) PlayStation 2
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2003) PlayStation 2
- Kengo 3 (2004) PlayStation 2
- Hissatsu Urakagyou (2005) PlayStation 2
- Eco Creatures: Save the Forest (2007) Nintendo DS
- Sky Diving (2008) PlayStation 3
- Hello Kitty Kruisers (2014) Wii U
- Excave II: Wizard of the Underworld (2014) Nintendo 3DS
- Excave III: Tower of Destiny (2015) Nintendo 3DS