Benjamin 'Ben' Allen (born March 13, 1978) is an American attorney and Democratic politician. He has been a California state senator representing the 26th district since 2015. He previously served as University of California Student Regent and Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District school board member.
California State Senator Ben Allen
|Member of the California State Senate|
from the 26th district
|Assumed office |
December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Ted Lieu (redistricted)|
|33rd University of California student regent|
|Preceded by||Maria Ledezma|
|Succeeded by||D'Artagnan Scoza|
|Born||March 13, 1978|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Residence||Santa Monica, California, U.S.|
Personal life and educationEdit
Allen was born to a Jewish family and raised in Santa Monica, California. From 2003 through 2005, Allen worked for Congressman Jose Serrano. Allen obtained an undergraduate degree from Harvard University in 2000, a master's degree from the University of Cambridge in 2001, a JD from the UC Berkeley School of Law in 2008, and was admitted to the California State Bar in December 2008. Allen is currently an adjunct law professor at UCLA School of Law and a private attorney. He lives in Santa Monica.
While at Berkeley, Allen served as UC Student Regent-designate from 2006 to 2007 and as Student Regent from 2007 to 2008. Prior to his election to the State Senate, Allen was a member of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Board of Education and chair of the Los Angeles County Committee on School Board Organization. Allen was first elected to the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District Board in 2008 and re-elected in 2012. He served as president of the school board from 2012-2013.
Allen announced his candidacy for the redrawn 26th district in February 2014. His major opponents in the primary included Manhattan Beach mayor Amy Howorth, former Assemblyperson Betsy Butler, and social justice attorney Sandra Fluke.
- "California Bar Member Profile Page". Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Lowenfeld, Jonah (May 28, 2014). "New faces, new era". Jewish Journal. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Arom, Eitan (January 6, 2017). "Jewish state legislators ready to make an impact". Jewish Journal.
- Garen, Brenton (October 19, 2012). "Up Front With The Santa Monica - Malibu School Board Candidates". Santa Monica Mirror. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Santa Monica College Professor Profile Page". Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Law 640 - Educational Policy-Making and the Law". UCLA School of Law. 2014. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- Islas, Jason (February 11, 2014). "From School Board to State Senate, Santa Monica Native Hopes to Make the Leap". Santa Monica Lookout. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Sumers, Brian (May 30, 2014). "Ben Allen, Santa Monica school board member, seeks state Senate seat". Daily Breeze. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "SMMUSD Board of Education". Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Rohit, Parimal M. (January 10, 2014). "SMMUSD's Ben Allen Elected Chair Of School District Organization Committee". Santa Monica Mirror. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Los Angeles County Statement of Votes Cast by Community for November 6, 2012 General Election" (PDF). p. Malibu and Santa Monica Results Located on Pages 93 and 135.
- "Los Angeles County Statement of Votes Cast by Community for November 4, 2008 General Election" (PDF). p. Malibu and Santa Monica Results Located on Pages 94 and 136.
- Chandler, Jenna (December 16, 2011). "'Curious' Allen Chosen New Board President". Santa Monica Patch. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Ben Allen". Ballotpedia. 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Ben Allen". Smart Voter. May 19, 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Ben Allen Captures Easy Victory". November 4, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.