Beggar and Co
Beggar and Co
|Genres||Pop, jazz-funk, soul|
|Members||Kenny Wellington (trumpet, flugelhorn, vocals)|
David Baptiste (saxophones, flute, vocals)
Breeze McKrieth (guitar, vocals)
Beggar and Co's first single was "(Somebody) Help Me Out", which entered the chart on 7 February 1981. It peaked at number 15 and spent a total of ten weeks on the Official UK Charts. Their second release was "Mule (Chant No.2)", which entered the UK Singles Chart on 12 September 1981, and reached 27, remaining in the chart for five weeks.
Beggar and Co was also the featured brass section on a number of chart records for other artists, both as a horn section or as individual musicians. Recorded studio sessions included Spandau Ballet's hit single, "Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)". Since 2016, Breeze McKrieth, Kenny Wellington, David Baptiste became part of a performing and recording collective, incorporating original members of Beggar & Co, Hi Tension and other members of bands from the genre to be known under the collective umbrella as the Brit Funk Association, performing material from the different repertoires of each band and releasing two albums Full Circle in 2018 and Lifted in 2020.
- Monument (1981)
- Sleeping Giants (2012) (Featuring the Funk Jazz Collective)
|1981||"Mule (Chant No. 2)"||RCA||37|
|"(Somebody) Help Me Out"||Ensign||15|
- "Beggar & Co. (The Original Light Of The World)". Summer Soulstice. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- Rice, Tim; Rice, Jonathan; Gambaccini, Paul (1990), Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums, Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness World Records and Guinness Publishing, ISBN 0-85112-398-8
- "The Story of 1981". Top of the Pops. 8 January 2016. BBC. Retrieved 30 December 2020.
- "BEGGAR & CO - full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 30 December 2020.