Bishop of Berwick
- For assistant bishops in Newcastle, New South Wales, see Anglican Diocese of Newcastle (Australia).
The title was originally created in 1537 in the Diocese of Durham, and takes its name from the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland. After the death of the only bishop in 1572, the title went into abeyance.
From 1980 until 2016, the Assistant Bishop of Newcastle was an episcopal title used by the sole stipendiary assistant bishop (effectively suffragan bishop) of the Diocese of Newcastle. The title took its name as the bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Newcastle.
On 28 November 2015, Frank White, Assistant Bishop of Newcastle (at the end of a vacancy in the See of Newcastle), presented a proposal to the Diocesan Synod of the Diocese of Newcastle (within which diocese Berwick now lies) to revive the abeyant Suffragan See of Berwick. The Dioceses Commission approved the petition to revive the See, the post was advertised in April 2016, and the appointment of Mark Tanner, Warden of Cranmer Hall, Durham, (part of St John's College, Durham) was announced on 1 September 2016.
List of bishopsEdit
|Bishops of Berwick|
|1537||1572||Thomas Sparke||Consecrated on 9 December 1537; died in 1572.|
|Assistant Bishops of Newcastle|
|1980||1998||Ken Gill||Formerly Bishop of the Central Karnataka Diocese of the Church of South India. Appointed stipendiary Assistant Bishop of Newcastle in 1980.|
|1998||2010||Paul Richardson||Formerly Bishop of Wangaratta in the Anglican Church of Australia. Resigned and joined the Roman Catholic Church|
|2010||2016||Frank White||Formerly suffragan Bishop of Brixworth.|
|Bishops of Berwick|
|2016||present||Mark Tanner||Consecrated 18 October 2016.|
Other assistant bishopsEdit
- Diocese of Newcastle — Mark Tanner announced as new Suffragan Bishop of Berwick Archived 5 September 2016 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 2 September 2016)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 945. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Handbook of British Chronology, page 287. Retrieved on 9 October 2008.
- Anglican Communion — Newcastle
- Newcastle Diocesan Synod, 28 November 2015 — Agenda Archived 26 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 19 January 2016)
- Newcastle Diocesan Synod, 28 November 2015 — Suffragan See of Berwick Archived 26 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 19 January 2016)
- Diocese of Newcastle — Frank White to retire in September Archived 13 May 2016 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 28 April 2016)
- Haydon News, April 1998 (p. 12)
- "Archbishop of Canterbury Awards Lambeth Degrees". Official Archbishop of Canterbury website. 7 September 2004. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- Whitaker's Almanack (120th ed.). London: Whitaker and Sons Ltd. 1988. p. 488. ISBN 0-85021-178-6.
- ""Church of England bishop converts to Rome" - Damian Thompson - Daily Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. London. 17 February 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- Diocese of Newcastle — New Assistant Bishop of Newcastle announced
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 287. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- "Newcastle's new Assistant Bishop". Church Times (#6117). 9 October 1980. p. 20. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 8 September 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|