Archdeacons in the Diocese of Chelmsford
The Archdeacons in the Diocese of Chelmsford are senior ecclesiastical officers in the Church of England in Essex and East London. They currently include: the Archdeacon of West Ham, the Archdeacon of Colchester and the archdeacons of Chelmsford, of Harlow, of Barking, of Stansted and of Southend. Each one has responsibility over a geographical area within the diocese.
When the diocese was created, it consisted of the ancient archdeaconries of Essex and Colchester. The first changes to the diocese's archdeaconries occurred on 17 March 1922 when the Archdeaconry of Southend was created from the old Essex archdeaconry and that old archdeaconry renamed to West Ham; West Ham archdeaconry was further split in 1993 to create the Archdeaconry of Harlow following a 1989 decision of the Diocesan Synod.
As part of Stephen Cottrell's vision for the diocese's long-term future, consultations occurred on proposals to create three new archdeaconries. On 1 February 2013, by Pastoral Order of the Bishop of Chelmsford, the three archdeaconries were created: the new Archdeaconry of Stansted from Colchester archdeaconry, a new Archdeaconry of Barking from West Ham archdeaconry and a new Archdeaconry of Southend created from Southend archdeaconry after it had been renamed the Archdeaconry of Chelmsford. Initially, the Archdeacons of Colchester, of West Ham, and of Chelmsford were also Acting Archdeacons of Stansted, of Barking, and of Southend respectively.
List of archdeaconsEdit
Archdeacons of Southend (before 2013) and of ChelmsfordEdit
Archdeacons of HarlowEdit
Archdeacons of BarkingEdit
Archdeacons of StanstedEdit
Archdeacons of Southend (since 2013)Edit
- "No. 32642". The London Gazette. 17 March 1922. pp. 2229–2230.
- See window image.
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Transforming Leadership[permanent dead link]
- Stephen Cottrell – Proposals to create new Archdeaconries in the Diocese of Chelmsford (accessed 28 December 2012)
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Archdeaconries in the Diocese of Chelmsford Archived January 30, 2014, at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 6 February 2013)
- "Anglia Ruskin". Archived from the original on 2009-10-04. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- Church Times
- Church Times
- Chelmsford Diocese Archived April 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "The Ven the Archdeacon of Southend's Biography". Debretts. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "Gazette". Church Times (#7962). 23 October 2015. p. 33. ISSN 0009-658X.
- Diocese of Chelmsford — New Archdeacon of Chelmsford appointed (Accessed 6 December 2015)
- "Fox, Michael John". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Taylor, Peter Flint". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Appointments". Church Times (#8026). 13 January 2017. p. 30. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Webster, Martin Duncan". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2013 (December 2012 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 May 2013. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Diocese of Chelmsford — New Archdeacon of Harlow appointed (Accessed 15 May 2017)
- Diocese of Chelmsford – Three new Archdeacons appointed (Accessed 12 May 2013)
- Diocese of Chelmsford — Archdeacon of Southend to retire at the end of 2016 (Accessed 22 December 2016)
- Diocese of Chelmsford — New Archdeacon of Southend Appointed (Accessed 6 February 2017)
- Diocese of Chelmsford — Bradwell Area Archdeacons Archived 2016-11-07 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 4 January 2017)
- Parish of Rayleigh — Meet the Rayleigh Team (Accessed 4 January 2017)