Angel Dust (band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Angel Dust (originally Angeldust) are a German heavy metal band. Initially active from 1984 to 1990 as speed and thrash metal band, they dropped their thrash roots in favor of a power/progressive metal sound upon reforming in 1998.
|Years active||1984–1988, 1997–2010, 2016-present|
|Labels||Disaster, Century Media|
|Associated acts||Mercury Tide|
|Past members||S.L. Coe|
Stefan K. Nauer
Initial career (1984-1990)Edit
Angel Dust formed in Dortmund, Germany, in 1984 as a typical garage band. They took their name from a song title off English black metal band Venom's debut album Welcome To Hell. The band's musical style was initially heavily influenced by the new wave of British heavy metal and Bay Area thrash metal scenes. They soon found their niche in the speed and thrash metal styles, which were widely popular at the time. The band released their debut studio album, Into the Dark Past, in 1986, and followed it up with To Dust You Will Decay, released in 1988. The band broke up in 1990 due to internal conflicts.
In 1998, Banx and original drummer Dirk Assmuth gathered a completely new lineup (including Frank Banx' younger brother Steven Banx on keyboards) to start from scratch. This reincarnation would handle music differently, shifting dramatically towards progressive metal, and would consequently gain a solid reputation in Europe.
After releasing a few successful albums in the late 1990s and early 2000s, a series of lineup changes significantly reduced the band's activities. However, Angel Dust are still active, and have "enter[ed] the studio [in March of 2006] to record the long awaited successor from Of Human Bondage."
The band's first two albums are now rare metal collectibles. They were reissued unofficially in very limited quantities in late 2002-2003, with no label or copyright info and with two bonus tracks each.
Second Reunion (2016-present)Edit
A second reunion was announced in September 2016. Pictures were posted to the band's Facebook page on October 9, 2017 announcing the recording of a new album. On December 17, 2018, the band announced via Facebook the new album would be titled "GHOSTS," but that the band has not decided on a release date yet.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)
- Dirk Assmuth - drums (1984-1988, 1997-2000, 2002–2010, 2016–present)
- Frank Banx - bass (1984-1988, 1997-2003, 2016-present)
- Bernd Aufermann - guitar (1997-2001, 2004-2010, 2016-present)
- Dirk Thurisch - vocals (1997-2005, 2010, 2016–present)
- Boris Odenkirchen - keyboards (2016–present)
- S.L. Coe - vocals (1988)
- Romme Keymer - guitar, vocals (1984-1987)
- Andreas Lohrum - guitars (1984-1987)
- Vinny Lynn - guitar (1988)
- Stefan K. Nauer - guitar (1988)
- Steven Banx - keyboards (1997-2010)
- Ritchie Wilkison - guitar (2001-2002)
- Carsten Kaiser - vocals (2005-2010)
- Christian Pohlmann - Bass (2006-2010)
- "RealNetworks". Germany.real.com. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "Satan Stole My Teddybear music reviews - Angel Dust". Ssmt-reviews.com. 2007-01-15. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
-  Archived March 16, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "Angel Dust - Encyclopaedia Metallum". The Metal Archives. Retrieved 2014-07-29.