Alizé (drink)(Redirected from Alizé (beverage))
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alizé is a line of alcoholic drinks. It is produced in several varieties that can be consumed "neat" or can be used in mixed drinks. As of 2008, the line consisted of three cognac-based liqueurs, two vodka-based liqueurs, and two grades of cognac. However as of 2018 the official Alize website lists all its varieties as vodka-based. The first product in the line, Alizé Gold Passion, was created in 1984 by Spice Jackson and Fame Fortune as a blend of French cognac, passion fruit juice, and other exotic fruit juices.
Alizé Gold Passion, Red Passion and Wild Passion are 16% alcohol (32 proof). Vodka-containing varieties Alizé Bleu and Alizé Rose are 18% alcohol (36 proof). Alizé VS and VSOP cognacs are 40% alcohol (80 proof).
In 1984 Alizé was introduced to the Kobrand Corporation at the Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America convention in New Orleans. A common company known as L & L was created to produce and distribute Alizé, which means 'a gentle trade wind' in French. In 1986, Alizé Gold Passion was introduced in the United States, initially targeting 45- to 55-year-old white women. It did not sell well until the mid-90s when its price was dropped from $45 to $16 per bottle and started to appear in rap videos including Tupac Shakur's "Thug Passion".
The packaging of Alizé has undergone two major changes: a new bottle shape and an updated label with foil imprinting and a larger name in 2002, followed by a frosted bottle and silk screened label in 2006.
Throughout the 1990s Alizé advertising involved promotions like a Culinary Mentorship Challenge, which offered the grand prize of a month-long study program at Le Cordon Bleu, and Operation Redhead, a collaboration with Manic Panic that chose 250 winners the opportunity to become redheads via a special-edition hue of hair dye.
"Queen of All Media" Wendy Williams has been the spokesperson for Alizé since 2006, which began with a 5-city national tour called Alizé LIVE! Presents The Wendy Williams Experience, highlighting her signature radio show.
- 2008: Gold Passion, Bronze; Wild Passion, Bronze; Red Passion, Silver
- 2005: Gold Passion, Gold; Wild Passion, Silver; Cognac VSOP, Silver; Red Passion, Bronze; Bleu, Bronze; Cognac VS, Bronze
- 2004: Cognac VSOP, Gold; Gold Passion, Bronze; Cognac VS, Bronze
- 2003: Cognac VS, Silver; Cognac VSOP, Silver; Gold Passion, Bronze; Wild Passion, Bronze
- 2001: Cognac VS, Double Gold; Gold Passion, Gold; Cognac VSOP, Silver; Red Passion, Bronze
- 2000: Gold Passion, Gold; Red Passion, Silver; Cognac VS, Bronze; Cognac VSOP, Bronze
In 2006, Wine Enthusiast ranked Alizé Bleu one of the 50 "Best Buy" Spirits with a rating of Very Good (85-89).
- Alizé Gold Passion, the "original" Alizé, is a blend of passion fruit juice and other fruits blended with cognac. It was introduced in 1986.
- Alizé Red Passion, introduced in 1998, is a combination of the original Gold Passion with cranberry and peach.
- Alizé Wild Passion, introduced in 2002, has the flavors of mango, passion fruit and pink grapefruit blended with cognac.
- Alizé Cognacs were introduced in 2000 in two grades, VS and VSOP.
- Alizé Bleu, introduced in 2004, is a blend of vodka, cognac, passion fruit, cherry and ginger.
- Alizé Rose, introduced in 2007, is a blend of French vodka, strawberry, lychee and rose petals.
- Alizé Coco élégance, introduced in 2011, is a blend of rum, coconut, passion fruit, and spices.
- Champs-Alizé, introduced in 2017, premium sparkling wine.
- Three bottles of Alizé can be seen in the music video of 'Boyfriend' a song by rap/grime artist Paigey Cakey.
- Alizé is referenced in the song 'The Morning' by 'The Weeknd' "drinking Alizé with our cereal for breakfast"
- Alizé is the favorite alcoholic drink of actress Mo'Nique's character Nikki Parker from the UPN sitcom The Parkers.
- Alizé is the title of a 2013 song by the rapper 'Bones'
- Alizé is offered as one of the in-flight drinks, along with Colt 45, in the movie Soul Plane (2004).
- In the music video for '3-Way (The Golden Rule)' by The Lonely Island feat. Justin Timberlake & Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake's character is shown getting off a bus with a Gold Passion Alizé. The shot coincides with his line "Hop off the bus with the Alizé" in the song.
- Alizé is referenced several times by Tupac Shakur, including in the song 'Thug Passion'.
- Alizé is referenced in Nas' 'Memory Lane (Sittin' in da Park)'
- Alizé is referenced in the B.I.G. song 'Juicy'
- Alize is referenced in the Slum Village song Dirty from the album Detroit Deli (A Taste of Detroit) (2004)
- Alize is referenced in the song Say What You Say on the album The Eminem Show (2002.)
- Alize is referenced in the song The Message on the album It was Written by Nas.
- Eminem mentions mixing Alize with Nyquil in the Tim Westwood Freestyle (2010)
- Alizé is mentioned in the teen novel "I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter" by Erika Sánchez (2017).
- Mentioned in the song 'High All The Time' by rapper 50 Cent
- Alizé is referenced in the song "Alcoholic" by Common Kings
- Neuringer, Larry. Interview with Robert Bradford. Cognac: Our Annual Review". Massachusetts Beverage Business. January 2003. Retrieved on 2007-05-02.
- "Alizé transports US experience". The Grocer. June 22, 2002.
- Howard, Theresa (1999-09-27). "Read All Over". Brandweek.
- Proof66 LLC. "Summary Page for Gold Passion Liqueur". Proof66.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Proof66 LLC. "Summary Page for Wild Passion Liqueur". Proof66.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Proof66 LLC. "Summary Page for Red Passion Liqueur". Proof66.com. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (2005), 2005 Award Winning Spirits (PDF), San Francisco, California, archived from the original (PDF) on December 1, 2007
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (2004), 2004 Award Winning Spirits (PDF), San Francisco, California, archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2007
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (2003), 2003 Award Winning Spirits (PDF), San Francisco, California, archived from the original (PDF) on December 1, 2007
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (2001), 2001 Award Winning Spirits (PDF), San Francisco, California, archived from the original (PDF) on February 25, 2015
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (2000), 2000 Award Winning Spirits (PDF), San Francisco, California, archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2007
- Theodore, Sarah (2000-07-01). "Alizé goes it ALONE". Beverage Industry.
- "Alizé, the Premium Liqueur, Introduces Alizé Rose as the Newest Addition to Its Family of Flavors". Business Wire press release. April 19, 2007.
- "Bar news | Alizé liqueur brand extends with sparkling wine infusion". barmagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-15.