Alexis Rose Alford (born April 10, 1998), also known as Lexie Limitless, is an American woman who is notable for traveling to 196 countries before reaching the age of twenty-one. She holds the official Guinness World Record for being the Youngest Person to Travel to All Sovereign Countries (overall).
|Born||Alexis Rose Alford|
April 10, 1998
Nevada City, California, U.S.
Alexis Alford on Instagram
|Also known as||Lexie Alford|
|Total views||13.5 million|
|Associated acts||Yes Theory|
Updated: July 18, 2021
Alford was born and raised in Nevada City, California to a middle class family. She decided by the age of twelve that she wanted to explore the world. Her parents were travel agents from whom she learned the skills of booking reservations and planning an itinerary. At age 18, she graduated with an associate degree at a community college.
After earning her degree, Alford had saved up funds by working during her teenage years to self-fund her travels. In addition, she supplements her income by blogging, doing freelance photography, and selling prints; according to Alford, she spends an "ungodly amount of time researching the best deals and thoroughly learning how to travel to exotic places on a budget". While traveling, she describes herself as a minimalist, carrying only the supplies that she needs in a backpack along with her videography equipment.
I simply wanted to push the limits of what I thought I could do with my life and see as much of the world as possible in the process.— Alford in 2019
She launched her YouTube channel a few months after bagging her world record. She called it Lexie Limitless. The latter shares her travel adventures, struggles and success as a young female traveler, and the various cultures and ways of life around the world. One of her most viewed videos is My Impossible 5 Minute Trip to North Korea, in which she recorded her 5-minute trip to austere North Korea.
Guinness World RecordEdit
While travelling, Alford suddenly thought of attempting to break a world record. What started off as a trivial attempt soon felt like a serious purpose.
In some of Alford's vlogs, she recounted the demanding requirements for the process of application for Guinness World Record. In the span of 6 months, Alford constantly filled up pounds of paperwork which the traveler described as "the most intense organization" she ever had to do. Ultimately, Alford submitted circa 7,000 sheets of documentations in chronological order. Alford revealed the need to pay Guinness World Record USD$800 within 2 weeks in exchange for their response to questions an applicant would personally ask. Upon the completion of her application, Alford submitted hers for review only to learn that she must pay more money to the organization.
Furthermore, Alford detailed the rigorous evidences necessary as proof she has visited every single nation in the world. Requirements encompass multitudinous tickets and receipts used during the travels, such as food receipts and bus tickets, in each destination. It additionally required covered letters; a transportation log book; a witness statement log in chronological order; all of which entailed detail-oriented explanations. Alford also ran into issues with passports in terms of details. A few stamps lacked ink, resulting to vague records of date and the likes. One requirement Alford found most difficult was the need for two witnesses in each country that can read, speak, and write English properly to ask for their personal contact information.
Alford recently announced that she is currently writing a book about being the youngest person to travel all of 196 sovereign countries of the world.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- "About YouTube channel". YouTube.
- Our correspondent (February 6, 2020). "How 'Lexie Limitless' became the youngest person to visit every country". Manorama Online. Archived from the original on February 7, 2020. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
...According to The Guinness World Records, on October 4, 2019 Alexis Alford became the youngest person... The 21-year-old most popularly known by her Instagram handle @lexielimitless hails from a small town...
- Priya Srivastava (August 28, 2019). "This 21-year old US woman has become the youngest to travel all 196 countries". Times of India. Archived from the original on August 30, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- "Youngest person to travel to all sovereign countries (overall)". Guiness World Record. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- Ferry, David (June 11, 2019). "Inside the mysterious sport of 'country collecting'". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on January 19, 2021. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- Shauna Beni (July 29, 2019). "This Gen Zer Just Became the Youngest Person to Travel to Every Country: Alexis Alford—or Lexie Limitless, as she's known on Instagram—has set the record at just 21 years old". Conde Nast Traveler. Archived from the original on December 24, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
... By age 12, Alexis Alford had already decided that she wanted to take time off and explore the real world ... Alford, now 21, has accomplished her goal, stopping the clock in North Korea on May 31. Along her journey she has become a travel influencer known as Lexie Limitless, racking up over 270,000....
- Poorvi Gupta (June 6, 2019). "Lexie Alford: Youngest Person Ever To Visit All Countries". SheThePeople.TV. Archived from the original on June 29, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
...like for Lexie Alford, the American woman has become the youngest person ever to travel to all the countries in the world including North Korea and other such extremely inaccessible countries at just 21 years of age...
- Katie Mather of In The Know (November 24, 2019). "21-year-old smashes world record for youngest person to visit every country". Yahoo News. Archived from the original on February 5, 2021. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
...New Guinness World Record holder Lexie Alford ... Alford visited all 196 countries at the age of 21, beating out previous record holder Taylor Demonbreun ... Working at the travel agency while living at home allowed her to save up money ... IAlford said she's a minimalist...
- "WELCOME TO MY CHANNEL - Lexie Limitless". Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "My Impossible 5 Minute Trip to North Korea". Apr 25, 2020. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "This 21-Year-Old Woman Is The Youngest Person To Travel To Every Country". Forbes. Jun 4, 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "Life Lessons from the Youngest Person to Travel to Every Country". TEDx Talks. Jun 29, 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "3 YEARS to Break a World Record: Was It Worth It?". Lexie Limitless. Jun 29, 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "My Story". Retrieved 15 July 2021.