Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyoon Aata Hai
Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyoon Aata Hai (lit. Why does Albert Pinto get angry?) is a 1980 Bollywood film directed by Saeed Akhtar Mirza based on his own story. The film starred Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil as leads.
|Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyoon Aata Hai|
|Directed by||Saeed Akhtar Mirza|
|Produced by||Saeed Akhtar Mirza|
|Story by||Saeed Akhtar Mirza|
|Music by||Bhaskar Chandavarkar|
|Edited by||Renu Saluja|
The film captures the anger of a worker, in Mumbai exemplified by a young Christian car mechanic, Albert Pinto (Naseeruddin Shah), who is under the illusion that if he works hard and emulates the rich, one day he can also be successful. He makes friendly relations with his customers, who are usually the rich of the city and who keep telling him that good workers do not go on strike, and that strikes are the handiwork of low-class elements. Pinto gets angry with the supposedly wrong attitudes of the workers who he assumes go on strike under any pretext. However, when Pinto's father, who is a mill worker is abused by the low-class elements hired by the mill owners, he realizes that it is not the workers, but the capitalists who should be blamed for the plight of the workers. He also realizes the legitimacy of strikes. Towards the end of the movie, Pinto still remains an angry man; but now his anger is directed against the capitalists, not the striking workers.
- Naseeruddin Shah as Albert Pinto
- Shabana Azmi as Stella D'Costa
- Smita Patil as Joan Pinto
- Dilip Dhawan as Dominic Pinto
- Sulabha Deshpande as Mrs. Pinto, Albert's mother
- Arvind Deshpande as Mr. Pinto, Albert's father
- Rohini Hattangadi as Vivek's wife
- Achyut Potdar as Chandumal Potdar (mill owner)
- Mushtaq Khan as The Lecherous Shopper tying to flirt with Joan Pinto (Smita Patil)
- Anjali Paigankar
- Om Puri as Madhu (mechanic)
- Satish Shah
- Avtar Gill
- Utpal Dutt
- Naresh Suri
- Nitin Sethi
- Motu Upadhyaya
- Roshan Tanuja
- Muhafiz Haider
- Jaidev Hattangadi
Awards and nominationsEdit
In 2017 the film was remade with the same title. With a cast of Manav Kaul, Nandita Das and Saurabh Shukla, the official remake was directed by Soumitra Ranade. It was premiered at 1st edition of Singapore South Asian Film Festival held from 1 September to 10 September 2017. It is slated to be released in theaters on 12 April 2019.
- "Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Ata Hai". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Ata Hai:Overview". The New York Times.
- "Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Ata Hai". Film.com.
- Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hai (1980) Yahoo! Movies. Archived 16 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Awards IMDb.
- "Anglo-Indians in Indian cinema". Screen. 10 October 2009.
- "Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyun Aata Hai to have its world premiere at 1st edition of Singapore South Asian Film Festival". Bollywood Hungama. 26 August 2017.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (6 March 2019). "Manav Kaul, Nandita Das and Saurabh Shukla... #AlbertPintoKoGussaKyunAataHai - an official remake of the cult classic by Saeed Akhtar Mirza - to release on 12 April 2019... Directed by Soumitra Ranade... The 1980 classic starred Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil. t.co/e3JaquzPMI" (Tweet) – via Twitter.