Aachener Zeitung (lit. Aachen Newspaper, AZ) is a daily newspaper published in Aachen, Germany. It is printed, alongside the daily Aachener Nachrichten (AN), by the Zeitungsverlag Aachen in the Rhenish format.
The AZ was founded in 1946 as Aachener Volkszeitung (AVZ) by Jakob Schmitz, Josef Hofmann, Albert Maas and Johannes Ernst, first printed on 22 February 1946. It was the first free paper published by Germans after World War II. The paper was renamed Aachener Zeitung on 6 March 1996. The paper was printed initially only two or three times a week, but daily every working day from 1 September 1949; it is sold mainly by subscription and the circulation is about 112,000 copies.
Bernd Mathieu is the current editor-in-chief, of the Aachener Zeitung from 1995 and of the Aachener Nachrichten from 2003. The concept of two newspapers in one Redaktion was then new for Germany. Mathieu is a lecturer at the Aachen University of Applied Sciences for Digital Business in media and communications studies. He is a member of the jury of the journalism prize Theodor Wolff Prize.
Mathieu initiated online news service, namely a digital daily evening news "AmAbend“ with photo galleries and videos, provided from 7 pm, in addition to the printed papers which include weekly specials on Wednesdays and Sundays.
- "Aachener Zeitung – Geschichte & Abo" (in German). zeitung.de. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Interview mit Bernd Mathieu – Aachener Zeitung / Aachener Nachrichten" (in German). Netzwirtschaft. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Prämierter Text / Am Ende der Illusion / Von Marlon Gego" (in German). bdzv.de/twp. 2007. Archived from the original on 21 November 2016. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "European Newspaper Award 2001: Zeitung verlieren journalistisches Interesse am Internet" (in German). oberauer.com. 18 November 2001. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "European Newspaper Award für "Welt am Sonntag Kompakt" und "Die Zeit"" (in German). BDZV. 21 November 2012. Archived from the original on 21 November 2016. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "18th Competition Press Release · List of Winners" (PDF). European Newspaper Award. 16 November 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-11-20. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Official website
- Aachener Zeitung flickr.com
- Aachener Zeitung 4imn.com
- Aachener Zeitung and Aachener Nachrichten / Die Netze der Zukunft bauen auf Akeptanz (in German) Flexible Elektrische Netze 29 October 2014
- Drei Awards für AN und AZ Aachener Zeitung, 16 November 2016