A Shameful Act
A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility (Turkish: İnsan Hakları ve Ermeni Sorunu, İttihat ve Terakki'den Kurtuluş Savaşı'na) is a 1999 book by Taner Akçam about Armenian Genocide denial, originally published in Turkish. Paul Bessemer translated content from the original Turkish for the 2006 English translation, and Zoryan Institute members Julie Gilmour and George Shirinian revised the raw translation.
Akcam states in the book that the Committee of Union and Progress (CUP) orchestrated the genocide out of fear of losing additional territory during World War I. Gary J. Bass wrote in The New York Times that the book is a "dense, measured and footnote-heavy book poses a stern challenge to modern Turkish polemicists". Kirkus Reviews stated that the author "is unsparing in his evidence, including proof that Turkish officials who refused to obey murderous orders were themselves murdered."
It received the 2007 Minnesota Book Award for General Nonfiction.
- Akçam, Taner. A Shameful Act. Henry Holt and Company, 21 August 2007 (ISBN 1466832126, 9781466832121). Google Books PT741.
- Bass, Gary J. (2006-12-17). "Turkey's Killing Fields". The New York Times. Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- "A SHAMEFUL ACT The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility". 2006-08-15. Retrieved 2019-06-11. - Posted online on May 20, 2010.
- "Minnesota Book Awards". Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library. Archived from the original on 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- Melson, Robert (Spring 2008). "A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility, Taner Akçam (New York: Metropolitan Books, 2006), xii + 467 pp., $30.00". Holocaust and Genocide Studies. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. 22 (1): 112–114. doi:10.1093/hgs/dcn005. - Published 1 March 2008
- Herwig, Holger (10 Feb 2007). "Documenting a 'shameful act': Turkish emigre historian writes on Armenian genocide". The Gazette. Montreal. p. J5. - Article at Pressreader
|This article about a non-fiction book on Turkish history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Armenian Genocide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|