A. Ross Eckler Jr.
A. Ross Eckler Jr. (August 29, 1927 – December 9, 2016) was an American logologist, statistician, and author, the son of statistician A. Ross Eckler. He served in the US Army from 1946 - 1947. He received a B.A. from Swarthmore College with High Honors in 1950 and a Ph.D. in mathematics from Princeton University in 1954.
A. Ross Eckler Jr.
Albert Ross Eckler Jr.
August 29, 1927
|Died||December 9, 2016 (aged 89)|
|Occupation||statistician, logologist, centenarian researcher|
Eckler was the publisher and editor of Word Ways: The Journal of Recreational Linguistics. In 1996 he published a book on logology entitled Making the Alphabet Dance. Recreational Wordplay.
He was also the author of The National Puzzlers' League, The First 115 Years, a history of the National Puzzlers' League (NPL). He and his wife Faith were married for more than 50 years, and were former NPL editors under the collective nom de plume "Faro" (with variant forms "FAro" for Faith and "faRO" for Ross).
Eckler's hobbies were genealogy and supercentenarian research. Eckler disproved exaggerated age claims such as those of Charlie Smith and George Fruits while authenticating others such as Delina Filkins (1815–1928). He was an avid hiker, leading hikes for the Appalachian Mountain Club between 1978 and 1997, a member (and trail maintainer) of the New York–New Jersey Trail Conference and researched portions of the Lawrence Line starting in 1996. He was also an active recreational caver starting in 1952; he joined the National Speleological Society in 1957, and became a life member in 1962. From 1963 - 1965 was editor of Speleo-Themes, the Northern NJ Grotto publication. He served as the carillonnuer at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Morristown, NJ from 1964 - 1988 and was a member of the Guild of Carillonnuers.
He died on December 9, 2016 at the age of 89.
- Eckler, A. Ross Jr. (1970). The Eckler-Ackler-Ackley Family (Genealogy).
- Eckler, A. Ross Jr. (1996). Making the Alphabet Dance: Recreational Wordplay. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 9780312155803.
- Eckler, A. Ross Jr. (1997). Three Pioneers of Stark (Jacob Bronner, John Fetterly, John Shaul and their Descendants).
- Eckler, A. Ross Jr. (1998). The National Puzzler's League - The First 115 Years.
- Eckler, Albert Ross Jr.; Burr, Stefan (1972). Mathematical models of target coverage and missile allocation (1st ed.). Military Operations Research Society, Alexandria, Va. ASIN B0006W2E2O. OCLC 1183447.
- Eckler, Albert Ross Jr. (1998). The National Puzzlers' League, The First 115 Years (1st ed.). National Puzzlers' League, New York. ASIN B001B3MEEU. OCLC 55705246.
- Farrell, Jeremiah. "Meet the Ecklers". wordways.com. Archived from the original on 1 December 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- Reference Books and Periodicals For Puzzle Solvers and Composers, Merlin (updated by Saxifrage), National Puzzlers' League, accessed 2015-02-07; under periodicals this lists "Word Ways: The Journal of Recreational Linguistics, published quarterly by Faro (Faith and Ross Eckler)".
- "Notice of A. Ross Eckler's death". Legacy.com. 2016-12-13. Retrieved 2016-12-14.