2020 coronavirus pandemic in Andorra
This article is about a current pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic was confirmed to have reached Andorra on 2 March 2020, a 20-year-old man who had returned from Milan. With a total population of 77,543 (as of 31 December 2019), on 6 April infection rate was 1 case per 147 inhabitants and death rate is 1 case per 3,693 inhabitants.
|2020 coronavirus pandemic in Andorra|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, China|
|Index case||Andorra la Vella|
|Arrival date||2 March 2020|
(1 month and 4 days)
The government ordered schools closed beginning 16 March. In addition, all cultural activities planned by the government were canceled. In an appearance on March 13 the Head of Government (Prime Minister) Xavier Espot announced that all public establishments would be closed for two weeks except those that provide essential products, gas stations, and pharmacies. The next day, Constitution Day celebrations were canceled. In addition, the borders were restricted, and people were only permitted to leave for health reasons, to transport goods, or for residents abroad. The sale of tobacco and alcohol to tourists was prohibited, and the quantity permitted to be sold to Andorran nationals and residents was restricted.
On 16 March, Espot ordered the cessation of high-risk work activities, such as construction and "liberal" (high-education) professions, for a minimum of eight days, and public administration would be reduced to a minimal level to avoid the collapse of the healthcare system. Meanwhile, the government began working on legal steps to manage states of alarm and of emergency, provided for in the Constitution but never developed in any laws.
On 2 March, Andorra confirmed its first coronavirus case, a 20-year-old man who had returned from Milan. The tests conducted have shown a positive infection, and he will remain in hospital for further tests and his immediate social circle will be monitored, the government said in a statement. He was discharged on 8 March.
On 15 March, it was announced that there were four new active cases in Andorra, making a total of 6 cases (5 of them being active at the time). All four people that contracted the virus had been in contact with the 87-year-old woman.
On 16 March the Prime Minister ordered the closing of all construction and industrial activity as the coronavirus cases amounted to 14 after a rise of 9 on the day with the highest number of cases registered.
On 24 March, the third death was confirmed.
On 29 March, the Minister of Health announced that 80 of the active cases were health care staff. Further, Cuba was sending 27 nurses and 12 physicians to aid the SAAS staff.
As of 1 April, fourteen persons have succumbed to the coronavirus in Andorra.
- "Actualitat coronavirus". Govern d'Andorra. Retrieved 1 April 2020.
- "A 20-year old man is Andorra's first coronavirus case". Reuters. 2 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Tancament del batxillerat de l'Escola Andorrana demà i de totes les escoles dilluns per un positiu". Diari d'Andorra. 13 March 2020.
- "Govern tanca el comerç menys alimentació i farmàcies". Diari d'Andorra (in Catalan). 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Prohibida la venda de tabac i alcohol als turistes". El Periòdic. 16 March 2020.
- "S'atura l'activitat a la construcció, la indústira, els artesans i els professionals liberals". Andorra Difusió. 16 March 2020.
- "A 20-year old man is Andorra's first coronavirus case". Reuters. 2 March 2020. Archived from the original on 2 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Dan de alta al único paciente andorrano con coronavirus tras dos análisis negativos". La Vanguardia. 8 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Segon cas positiu per coronavirus al Principat". El Periòdic. 12 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Tancament del batxillerat de l'Escola Andorrana demà i de totes les escoles dilluns per un positiu". Diari d'Andorra. 12 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Govern tanca el comerç menys alimentació i farmàcies". Diari d'Andorra. 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Missatge del cap de Govern a la població davant la situació excepcional per coronavirus". Andorran Government. 12 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "El Consell General suspèn els actes pel Dia de la Constitució". Diari d'Andorra. 14 March 2020. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "Quatre nous positius per COVID-19" (in Catalan). 15 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Catorze positius per coronavirus i 43 pacients sospites de contagi". Diari d'Andorra. 16 March 2020. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- "Govern atura la construcció i les activitats industrials vuit dies". Diari d'Andorra. 16 March 2020. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- "39 positius per coronavirus dels quals 12 són personal sanitari". Diari d'Andorra. 17 March 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Vives demana "calma i serenor" a la ciutadania enfront de la pandèmia". El Periòdic. 17 March 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Andorra registra su primera víctima mortal por coronavirus". Europa Press. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 22 March 2020.
- "Mor l'home de 88 anys contagiat de coronavirus" (in Catalan). 22 March 2020.
- "Tercera mort relacionada amb el coronavirus d'una persona d'edat avançada" (in Catalan). 24 March 2020.
- "Martínez Benazet anuncia l'arribada de 39 professionals sanitaris procedents de Cuba per col·laborar amb el personal del SAAS" (in Catalan). 29 March 2020.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/