2014 Edmonton killings
On December 29, 2014, 53-year-old Phu Lam went on a killing spree in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He shot to death eight people, including two children, most of whom were his relatives. He then committed suicide at his restaurant in Fort Saskatchewan.
|2014 Edmonton killings|
|Date||December 29, 2014|
|Shooting, spree killing, familicide, murder-suicide|
|Weapons||9mm semi-automatic handgun|
|Deaths||9 (including the perpetrator)|
|"2014 Edmonton killings" locations|
Lam killed seven relatives, including two children under the age of ten, in a house in north Edmonton. Lam then went into another house in the Haddow neighbourhood of Edmonton and killed Cyndi Duong. He then drove to Fort Saskatchewan where he entered a Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant he owned and committed suicide by shooting himself. Police entered the restaurant at 7:34 a.m. on December 30, where they found Lam's body.
The victims were:
- Klarvatten house: Phu Lam's wife, Thuy-tien Truong (known as Tien Truong), 35, and her eight-year-old son, Elvis Lam; her father Van-dang Truong, 55; her mother, Thi-dau Le, 55; her sister, Thanh-ha-thi Truong (known as Ha Truong), 33; her sister's daughter, Valentina Nguyen, 3; Viet Nguyen, 41, Tien Truong's male friend.
- Haddow house: Cyndi Duong, 36.
|Died||December 29, 2014 (aged 53)|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Nationality||Vietnamese, Canadian citizen|
|Occupation||Machine operator at Alta Steel|
Phu Lam (aged 53) had a criminal record dating back to 1987, which included drug and violence-related offenses. At the time of the shooting, he was in bankruptcy proceedings and owed a large amount of money on at least a dozen credit cards due to a gambling problem. Lam was arrested twice in Edmonton, for sexual and domestic assault. The 9mm handgun used in the shooting was registered in 1997 but was stolen in 2006 from Surrey, British Columbia. In November 2012, a complaint was filed against Lam after he threatened to kill his ex-wife Thuy Tien Truong and five other relatives.
- "Shooter in Edmonton mass murder had history of domestic violence". CTVNews. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Edmonton Shootings 'Planned And Deliberate,' Says Police Chief". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- Klinkenberg, Marty; Wittmeier, Brent; Klingbeil, Cailynn; Otiena, Ellwand; Ross, Andrea (December 31, 2014). "Phu Lam identified as Edmonton man who killed eight people, including two children". National Post. Postmedia Network Inc. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- Phu Lam identified as Edmonton shooter, National Post, December 31, 2014.
- Giovannetti, Justin; Rodriguez, Jeremiah; Woo, Andrea (January 2, 2015). "Edmonton murder suspect had run-ins with the law and a massive gambling debt". The Globe and Mail. The Globe and Mail Inc. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Suspect in Edmonton murders threatened to kill relatives in 2012". The Globe and Mail. January 2, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2015.