2012 MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships
The 2012 MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships was the 15th and final race of the 2012 IndyCar Series season. The event took place on September 15, at the 2.000-mile (3.219 km) Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. It was the first IndyCar race at this facility since 2005, the first 500-mile open-wheel race outside Indianapolis since the CART-sanctioned 2002 The 500 at Fontana, and the first 500-mile IndyCar Series race outside Indianapolis.
|Race 15 of 15 in the 2012 IndyCar Series season|
|Date||September 15, 2012|
|Official name||MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships|
|Location||Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, California|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
2.000 mi / 3.219 km
500.000 mi / 804.672 km
|Weather||98 °F (37 °C), fair skies|
|Driver||Marco Andretti (Andretti Autosport)|
|Time||216.069 mph (347.729 km/h)|
|First||Ed Carpenter (Ed Carpenter Racing)|
|Second||Dario Franchitti (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
|Third||Scott Dixon (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
The race, originally scheduled for 400 miles (200 laps), as was the case for the 2002–05 IndyCar races at Auto Club Speedway, reverted to the classic 500 mile, 250-lap distance used at the Ontario Motor Speedway for major races and both the six CART FedEx Championship Series races (1997–2002) and the first 20 NASCAR Sprint Cup races (1997–2010) held at Auto Club Speedway. Attendance at the event was estimated to be 25,000 to 30,000 people.
Marco Andretti took his first pole position since Milwaukee in 2008 with a two lap average speed of 216.069 mph (347.729 km/h). Over half the field incurred 10-place grid penalties for engine changes, most for an unapproved engine change – engines must clock 1850 miles before they be changed without penalty – however both championship contenders Will Power and Ryan Hunter-Reay incurred a penalty for exceeding the five engine limit for the year, both of whom fit their sixth Chevrolet engine.
|1||26||Marco Andretti||216.069||2||Ryan Briscoe||216.058|
|2||11||Tony Kanaan||214.877||4||J.R. Hildebrand||214.719|
|3||20||Ed Carpenter||214.684||8||Rubens Barrichello||213.527|
|4||6||Katherine Legge (R)||213.308||22||Oriol Servià||212.533|
|5||10||Dario Franchitti||211.999||17||Sebastián Saavedra||210.619|
|6||5||E.J. Viso||210.134||19||James Jakes||208.056|
|7||12||Will Power||215.940 ‡||67||Josef Newgarden (R)||215.919 †|
|8||9||Scott Dixon||215.391 †||98||Alex Tagliani||215.226 †|
|9||3||Hélio Castroneves||214.409 ‡||38||Graham Rahal||214.015 †|
|10||27||James Hinchcliffe||213.726 †||77||Simon Pagenaud (R)||213.282 †|
|11||15||Takuma Sato||213.222 †||28||Ryan Hunter-Reay||212.773 ‡|
|12||83||Charlie Kimball||211.531 †||14||Wade Cunningham (R)||209.526 †|
|13||18||Justin Wilson||No Speed †||78||Simona de Silvestro||No Speed †|
† Newgarden, Dixon, Tagliani, Rahal, Hinchcliffe, Pagenaud, Sato, Kimball,
Cunningham, Wilson and de Silvestro penalized 10 places for unapproved engine change
‡ Power, Castroneves and Hunter-Reay penalized 10 places for exceeding five-engine limit
1 Points include 1 point for pole position and 2 points for most laps led.
- "Hunter-Reay Wins IZOD IndyCar Series Title as Carpenter Wins MAVTV 500". Auto Club Speedway. September 15, 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "MAVTV - IZOD IndyCar Series Finale Now: MAVTV 500". August 10, 2012. Archived from the original on September 20, 2013. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Miller, Robin (1 October 2011). "INDYCAR: 2012 Schedule Revealed". Speed Channel, Inc. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- Peltz, Jim (September 17, 2012). "IndyCar Series finale makes for great show in Fontana". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- Lewandowski, Dave (September 14, 2012). "Hunter-Reay to start near rear of field in title race". IndyCar Series. IndyCar. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Lewandowski, Dave (September 14, 2012). "More than half of the field to incure grid penalty". IndyCar Series. IndyCar. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- "Official Box Score" (PDF). indycar.com. Indycar. 2012-09-16. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
2012 Grand Prix of Baltimore
2013 Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
2005 Toyota Indy 400
|MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships||Next race:|
2013 MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships