|Type of site||Gaming culture and news site|
|Created by||WarCry Corp.|
|Launched||May 21, 1999|
WarCry Network (or WarCry.com per the URL) is a fan-based web site network centered around MMOGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Games) and other similar interests. It boasts a large community of professional web sites and databases for these games.
One of the regular features at WarCry.com are exclusive interviews with game developers and game company executives. Among past interviewees are Matt Mihaly, CEO of Iron Realms Entertainment,Steven-Elliot Altman, lead writer at 9Dragons, Howard Marks, CEO of Acclaim Games,John Scott Tynes, producer of Pirates of the Burning Sea,Jeff Anderson, CEO of Turbine, Inc.,Scott Hartsman, senior producer and creative director of Everquest II,Tom Chilton, lead designer of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade,David Perry, lead designer of 2Moons,Stieg Hedlund, design director of Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising, Chris McKibbin, president of Perpetual Entertainment,Mike Goslin, vice president of Virtual Reality Studio,Dan Elggren, senior producer at Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment,Daron Stinnett, executive producer at Perpetual Entertainment,Josh Drescher, senior designer for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, and Aaron Cohen, producer of Ultima Online.
The company known as WarCry Corp. was started in 1997 by Alexander Macris. Originally a developer and publisher of online games, in 2001 WarCry acquired the assets of Crossroads Gaming Network (also known as XRGaming) in an undisclosed private transaction. The merged company took the WarCry name as WarCry Corp., but dropped the online gaming angle to concentrate on more coverage of games, particularly massively multiplayer which had been XRGaming's stock in trade. Whilst popular, XRGaming had been suffering in the midst of the Dot.com bust and WarCry's funding enabled both to survive.
WarCry is owned and operated completely by Themis Group, which was also founded by Alexander Macris. On July 12, 2005 Themis Group launched The Escapist, which runs using the same software and a similar layout to WarCry.com. On October 6, 2008 Themis Group announced they would be focusing their full company efforts on The Escapist and WarCry.
The WarCry Network specializes in covering numerous popular MMOGs. The network itself has numerous daughter sites dedicated to covering almost all aspects of the games it covers. It has specific database pages for no less than 29 different online games, including extremely popular games such as World of Warcraft,Everquest 2, Lineage II, City of Heroes and even the aging Dark Age of Camelot. The WarCry network now covers games, movies, anime, comics and other parts of the entertainment industry, supplied by a network of contributors and user-submitted content. Similar to many print gaming magazines, the WarCry network conducted its own "Editor's Choice Awards" in 2006.
Impact on the gaming community
Many gaming news sites index and/or link to articles that were originally published on WarCry. Some of the editorials published on the network have been used as sources by other articles as well. Many of their interviews with game developers have been referenced to by other online news sites.
Some official game websites have considered the network significant enough so as to reference them on their official websites. For example, Lineage II's news site stated that WarCry had exclusive coverage of their "Lineage II Battle Tournament". Paris-based NEVRAX, makers of the massively-multiplayer online game The Saga of Ryzom, has also mentioned the WarCry Network in an official press release, alongside notable industry news sources such as GameSpy and Computer Gaming World.
In light of their 2006 Editor's Choice Awards, many game developers have also acknowledged the network on their own official websites. Cryptic Studios, makers of the massively multiplayer City of Heroes and Marvel Universe Online games referenced their Editor's Choice Award on their official news site. Another major MMOG, EVE Online, acknowledged WarCry for naming their Revelations expansion, "Expansion of the Year" on their front page.
- "WarCry Network : Earth Eternal: Exclusive Interview with Matt Mihaly". Warcry.com. February 5, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "WarCry Network : 9Dragons: Exclusive Interview with Steven-Elliot Altman". Warcry.com. February 8, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Pirates of the Burning Sea on WarCry : News : Exclusive Interview with John Scott Tynes[dead link]
- "Lord of the Rings Online WarCry : News : Ask Turbine #1: Jeff Anderson, CEO Answers". Lotro.warcry.com. February 9, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- EverQuest 2 WarCry : News : Exclusive Interview with Scott Hartsman[dead link]
- "World of Warcraft WarCry : News : Exclusive Interview with Tom Chilton (Lead Designer)". Wow.warcry.com. February 16, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Interviews: 2Moons: Exclusive Interview with David Perry (February 22, 2007). "WarCry Network : 2Moons: Exclusive Interview with David Perry". Warcry.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Gods and Heroes WarCry : News : Exclusive Interview with Chris McKibbin and Stieg Hedlund[dead link]
- Dana Massey (March 5, 2007). "WarCry Network : News : Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Interview with Mike Goslin". Warcry.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011. Text " Mar 5, 2007 17:02 " ignored (help)
- "WarCry Network : Stargate Worlds: Exclusive Interview with Dan Elggren". Warcry.com. January 9, 2007. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Interviews: WarCry Exclusive Interview with Daron Stinnett (January 19, 2007). "Star Trek Online on WarCry : News : WarCry Exclusive Interview with Daron Stinnett". Sto.warcry.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Interviews: Warhammer Online: Exclusive Interview (January 22, 2007). "WarCry Network : Warhammer Online: Exclusive Interview". Warcry.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Interviews: Ultima Online: WarCry's Exclusive Interview (January 24, 2007). "Ultima Online on WarCry : News : Ultima Online: WarCry's Exclusive Interview". Uo.warcry.com. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Haley, Colin C. (2005-03-09). "WarCry Makes Buy". boston.internet.com. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Arendt, Susan (2008-10-06). "Themis Group Turns Full Attention to Escapist, WarCry". escapistmagazine.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "WarCry Network Announces New World of Warcraft Database" (Press release). gi: gamesindustry.biz. 2005-08-03. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- WarCry.com editors (2006). "2006 WarCry Editor's Choice Awards". WarCry Network. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "Top Stories & Latest Headlines: WarCry". All Game News. constantly updated. Retrieved 2006-01-26.
- "NWN2 Warcry Toolset Preview". Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault: Articles: Previews. IGN.com. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Walker, Trey (2001-03-07). "ViOS and WarCry announce 3D Internet project". GameSpot. CNET Networks Inc. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "WarCry Network Adds Industry Veteran to Head Sales". GameZone News. GameZone: Your PC and Video Game Connection. 2005-07-13. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Oliva, Erwin Lemuel. "Online game publishers clamp down on real-money trading". Hackenslash. Retrieved 2006-01-26.
- "Dungeons & Dragons Online: Warcry Dev Chat". Dungeons & Dragons Vault. IGN.com. 2005-07-12. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "Ultima Online: WarCry Q & A with Aaron Cohen". Ten Ton Hammer. 2007-01-25. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Goforth, Robert "Xaphod" (2006-11-23). "Intro to PotBS on WarCry Network". Coldfront: Pirates of the Burning Sea. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- "Tournament Finals on WarCry". Latest News (Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicles Official News Site). 2006-05-02. p. 4. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- "Coverage on WarCry Continues". Latest News (Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicles Official News Site). 2006-04-27. p. 4. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- "Tournament Coverage on WarCry". Latest News (Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicles Official News Site). 2006-04-17. p. 4. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- "Nevrax Announces the Addition of Industry Veteran to Production Team" (Press release). PhilGaming.Community. 2005-05-13. Archived from the original on 2006-03-24. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- "Cryptic Studios Wins WarCry Editor's Choice Award". News. Cryptic Studios. 2007-01-11. Archived from the original on 2007-02-24. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "Revelations "Expansion of the Year" at WarCry". EVE Online News. CCP. 2007-01-12. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language