The population of the village is slightly over three thousand inhabitants (3,020 as per 2005-01-01). Vlčnov is known throughout the Czech Republic for its traditional folklore festival The Ride of the Kings (Jízda králů in Czech) held every year at the end of May. The festival is known also beyond the borders of the Czech Rep. for its traditional costumes and folklore music.
The nearest town is Uherský Brod, located about 5 km northeast of Vlčnov. This town provides higher education and many residents commute to work there.
According to preserved historical documents first records of village named Vlčnov date back to 1264. Nevertheless according to experts and archaeological research the area of the village was inhabited much earlier.
Matter of Interest
- The Ride of the Kings - folklore festival
- Búdy - the village is proud of picturesque cellar alley next to vineyards
- Church of St. James the Great - church's foundations were built in the middle of the 13th century
- Official website of the village - all about the village, history, sights and traditions
- Ride of Kings - folklore festival's website
- Slovácko - traditionally (not administratively) determined region to which Vlčnov belongs (all about folklore, nature, traditions...)
- Eastern Slovácko micro-region - briefly about Vlčnov and neighbouring villages
|This Zlín Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|