||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: does not meet project guidelines. (July 2011)|
VG247 as of February 1, 2011
|Type of site||Gaming Newsblog|
|Owner||Videogaming 247 Ltd|
|Created by||Patrick Garratt|
Videogaming247 (VG247) is a video game blog published in the United Kingdom, founded in February 2008 by industry veteran Patrick Garratt. According to CNET blog Crave, it's the third best gaming blog in the world.
Founded in collaboration in February 2008 between games industry journalist vet Patrick Garratt and Eurogamer Network, VG247 was set up to be a news-only blog, the first of its kind in the UK to have a specialist games blog found among the likes of Kotaku or Joystiq in the US. Unlike those sites however, VG247 doesn't review videogames; instead providing a strict news-only service. It does, however, post playtest previews of upcoming titles now and then when the article in question is deemed newsworthy.
Garratt was the only staff member at the time of launch, although grew in time with the addition of contributors Mike Bowden and Nathan Grayson.
In July 2009, newcomer Johnny Cullen was added to the site's staff line-up as its gamescom contributor, before becoming a full-time contributor on Mondays to the site afterward. In January 2010, he became Associate UK Editor to the site.
In January 2011, VG247 became the first - and so far to date, only - videogames site in the UK to provide full 24-hour news coverage with the hire of Brenna Hillier as its Australian News Editor.
On February 1, the site relaunched to what it called v2.00 of the site.
- Patrick Garratt (Editor)
- Stephany Nunneley (US News Editor)
- Brenna Hillier (Australian News Editor)
- Sam Clay (Video Editor)
- Dave Cook (UK News Editor)
- Nathan Grayson (Senior Contributor, US)
- Stace Harman (Senior Contributor, UK)
- Alex Donaldson (Contributor, UK)
- Andrew Groen (Contributor, US)
- Jessica Citizen (Contributor, AU)
- Lauren Wainwright (Contributor, UK)
- Debabrata Nath (News Contributor)
VG247 has been nominated twice for Best Website and Best Online Blog at the Games Media Awards in 2008 and 2009. And while it didn't win either in '08, it did win Best Online Blog in 2009, with Garratt winning Best Specialist Online Writer in 2009, having only been nominated in 2008.
Garratt also walked away with the Games Media Legend award in 2009.
The site was nominated for the Best Online Blog award at the 2010 Games Media Awards., but lost out to Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The site was nominated again for the Best Online Blog at the 2011 Games Media Awards.
- Patrick Garratt. "VG247 » Staff". VG247. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- Top ten gaming blogs | Crave | CNET UK Crave.CNET.co.uk. Last accessed November 6, 2009.
- Patrick Garratt (February 9, 2009). "VG247 – Welcome to our second year and your new site!". VG247. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- VG247 freelance spot available, possibly to you VG247.com. Last accessed June 8, 2009
- Johnny Cullen becomes latest addition to VG247 team VG247.com. Last accessed December 14, 2009.
- VG247 becomes first and only 24-hour UK-based videogames news site VG247.com. Last accessed January 4, 2011.
- VG247 pushes on original video with Sam Clay signing VG247.com. Last accessed March 21, 2012.
- Dave Cook joins VG247 as new UK editor VG247.com. Last accessed October 10, 2012.
- UK's media darlings hailed | Games Industry | MCV MCV. Last accessed October 16, 2009
- Games Media Awards finalists revealed | Games Industry | MCV MCV. Last accessed August 11, 2010
- GMA 2011: The finalists | Games Industry news | MCV MCV. Last accessed August 11, 2011
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language