UC Riverside School of Medicine
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|University of California, Riverside, School of Medicine|
|Dean||G. Richard Olds, M.D.|
|Location||Riverside, California, USA|
The UCR School of Medicine is built on the foundation of the existing UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Program in Biomedical Sciences, which has been in place since 1974. The program offers the first two years of medical school instruction at UCR to selected students, after which students transfer to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA to complete the clinical clerkships for their M.D. degrees which are awarded by UCLA.
The University of California Board of Regents approved establishment of the UCR School of Medicine in 2008, and it is projected to enroll its first incoming class of 50 medical students in fall 2013.
In 2010 G. Richard Olds, M.D., former chair of medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin, was appointed vice chancellor of health affairs and founding dean. The first building was completed in 2011.
In 2011 the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) denied preliminary accreditation to the UCR School of Medicine, based primarily on the LCME's assessment that the school had not demonstrated sufficient financial resources to sustain a sound program of medical education. In addition, the LCME found inadequate strategic planning, insufficient key personnel, and weak policies and procedures related to student advancement and diversity. The LCME also found limited clinical education opportunities in psychiatry and pediatrics. The school declined to appeal this decision.
In October 2012 the LCME granted preliminary accreditation to UCR, thus allowing the school to start recruiting students with the goal of enrolling 50 a year in 2013. This is the first time in three decades that an American medical school was approved after previously having been denied.
- UCR School of Medicine Must Delay Opening Until 2013
- Distinguished Educator, International Health Expert Appointed Medical School Dean at the University of California, Riverside
- UC Riverside officially opens first medical school building
- Directory of Developing Medical Education Programs
- UC Riverside medical school clears hurdle (Los Angeles Times)
- University of California, Riverside, School of Medicine - UC Riverside School of Medicine
- Doctor Shortage Likely to Worsen With Health Law (New York Times, July 28, 2012)
- UCR Medical School Timeline (Riverside Press-Enterprise, October 3, 2012