March 13, 1941|
Buffalo, New York
|Died||December 6, 2000
Thomas Babe (March 13, 1941 – December 6, 2000) was an American playwright, writing mainly during the mid 70s and 80s. He was the son of Thomas James and Ruth Ina (née Lossie) Babe. He died of lung cancer on December 6, 2000, in a hospice in Stamford, Connecticut. He was 59.
Babe's work brought together many elements of American history and cultural mythology. He was fascinated by the concept of the traditional hero figure - and the reality behind it. Strained family relationships often featured - specifically focusing on fathers and daughters, love and individual rights. These themes come together in Babe's 1977 play A Prayer for My Daughter.
Babe was one of a group of 70s US playwrights who laid the ground for the likes of Quentin Tarantino and Aaron Sorkin. Like David Mamet and Sam Shepard, his plays contain half-crazed but intelligent, articulate characters. Darker passions of the human soul feature strongly.
- The Pageant of Awkward Shadows, Harvard College Theater, Cambridge, MA, 1963
- Kid Champion, Public Theater, New York City, 1974
- Mojo Candy, Yale Cabaret, New Haven, CT, 1975
- Rebel Women, Public Theater, 1976
- Billy Irish, Manhattan Theater Club, New York City, 1976
- A Prayer for My Daughter, Public Theater, 1978
- Great Solo Town, Yale Cabaret, 1977
- Fathers and Sons, Public Theater, 1978
- Taken in Marriage, Public Theater, 1979
- Salt Lake City Skyline, Public Theater, 1980
- When We Were Very Young, Winter Garden Theatre, New York City, 1980
- Buried Inside Extra, Public Theater, 1984
- Planet Fires, Geva Theatre Center, Rochester, NY, 1985
- Carrying School Children, Theatre for the New City, New York City, 1987
- Demon Wine, Los Angeles Theatre Center, Los Angeles, CA, 1987
- Great Day In The Morning, South Coast Repertory, Costa Mesa, CA, 1993 published by Broadway Play Publishing Inc.
- Hot Dogs and Soda Pop, National Public Radio (NPR), 1980
- The Volunteer Fireman, NPR, 1981
- One For the Record, WNYC's The Radio Stage (Marjorie Van Halteren, Producer), 1984
- Guide to Thomas Babe's works produced at Agassiz Theater at Houghton Library, Harvard University