Bayer studied at University of Exeter from 1965 to 1968 and began work at Wenford Bridge Pottery with Michael Cardew in 1969. In 1972 he joined the Brannam Pottery in Barnstaple, where he worked as a thrower for a year. He has been described as probably the best of the potters to work at Wenford Bridge, and his large pots have been said to be "very powerful".
Bayer has exhibited widely in Europe, the Middle East, North America, Australia and New Zealand.
- "Pucker Gallery". Pucker Gallery. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "David Mellor Design Limited Svend Bayer". Davidmellordesign.com. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "Svend Bayer". St Ives Ceramics. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- Rice, P., British Studio Ceramics, Barrie and Jenkins, London, 1989, p.55
- Watson Oliver, Studio Pottery Phaidon 1993, p.152