Steve Smith (general)
3 July 1959 |
|Service/branch||Australian Army Reserve|
|Years of service||1976-Present|
|Commands held||2nd Division
Royal Tasmania Regiment
Aide-de-camp to the Governor of Tasmania
|Awards||Member of the Order of Australia
Conspicuous Service Cross
Officer of the Order of St John
Reserve Force Decoration
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
|Other work||Deputy Chairman of the Board of St John Ambulance Tasmania (Current)|
Major General Steven Lyndon Smith, AM CSC RFD is a senior officer in the Australian Army Reserve and is currently serving as the Commander of the 2nd Division. His career includes service as a Battalion, Brigade and Divisional commander.
Steven Smith joined the Australian Army Reserve at the age of 17 as a soldier and was commissioned into the Royal Australian Infantry Corps in 1979. He has served with the 40th Independent Rifle Company, The Royal Tasmania Regiment, 4th/3rd Battalion, Royal New South Wales Regiment, and other units.
In 2006 Smith was promoted to the rank of Brigadier and appointed the Assistant Commander of the 1st Division. He subsequently deployed to Iraq, serving as the Commanding General of the Joint Headquarters Transition Team within the US led Multi-National Security Transition Command - Iraq.
Education and Personal
Smith is a graduate of the Australian Defence College. He has also attended the University of Tasmania where he received a Bachelor of Arts and a Graduate Certificate in Emergency Management from the Australian Emergency Management Institute.
Smith works for the Tasmanian Government and is also Deputy Chairman of the Board of St John Ambulance Tasmania.
Honours and Awards
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||4 June 2010|
|Conspicuous Service Cross (CSC)||11 June 2001|
|Officer of the Order of St John|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Reserve Force Decoration (RFD) with 4 clasps||35–39 year's service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)||2007|
- Official biography, www.army.gov.au
- Soldiers farewelled before shipping out to Timor, 20 January 2012, Geelong Advertiser, www.geelongadvertiser.com.au
- Reservists welcomed home from Timor-Leste, www.army.gov.au
- It's an Honour - Member of the Order of Australia (AM), 14 June 2010, Citation: For exceptional service as the Commander Joint Headquarters Transition Team Iraq, Assistant Commander of the 1st Division and Commander 9th Brigade.
- Hodgman gets his gong, (2010 Queen's Birthday Honours), 18 September 2010, The Mercury (Hobart), www.themercury.com.au
- It's an Honour - Conspicuous Service Cross (CSC), 11 June 2001
|Commander, 2nd Division
2012 – Present