Skin Deep (webcomic)
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Jim, one of the main characters
|Schedule||Weekly, on Tuesdays|
|Main character(s)||Jim Finn, Greg Tragos, Merial McMinnus, Michelle Jocasta, Blanche Noir, Tony Gillis|
The story follows the lives of various mythical creatures, such as a gryphon, a nixie, a satyr, and a sphinx, as they disguise themselves (using magical medallions) into the world of humans. The story's narrative, so far in one completed arc and one in-progress arc, presents the point of view of Michelle, a college-aged Sphinx who has only recently learned that she is not a human, and the various points of view of the citizens of Liverpool's Avalon, an entire magically hidden city. The plot often works to establish a theme of different versions of normalcy, promoting acceptance and diversity.
Orientations - Takes place in Missouri, in September 2004. Focuses on the turning (de-spelling of humanity disguise) of Michelle, a member of the supposedly extinct sphinx species. Explains many of the mechanisms of the Skin Deep world.
Exchanges - Takes place in Liverpool, England, in August 2004. Focuses on the turning of Anthony Gillis, as well as the interactions between several of the inhabitants of the Liverpool Avalon.
- Jim Finn - A maned gryphon who appears in both arcs. He is an exchange student from England who has the most knowledge about the mythical community, having been raised in one.
- Michelle Jocasta (Orientations)- A Grecian sphinx who is the focus of Orientations. She is accidentally turned from her human form into her real form, releasing a large burst of magic that causes the events following to happen.
- Merial McMinnus (Orientations)- A nixie who is Michelle's roommate and friend.
- Greg Tragos (Orientations)- A satyr, Merial's friend from before college.
- Eustace (Orientations) - A totem fox who runs the shop in the small Missouri Avalon.
- Marshall (Orientations) - A totem raven who is Eustace's best friend.
- The Bloodcarver (Orientations) - A mysterious member of the also supposedly extinct race of dragons.
- The Grimm Brothers (Orientations) - Three demons sent from Dis to retrieve the lost shade of Michelle's father, who end up targeting the newly turned sphinx.
- Anthony Gillis (Exchanges) - A "human" who seems to be having some trouble maintaining his humanity.
- Blanche Noir (Exchanges) - A white stag who introduces his best friend, Anthony, to his hidden life in the Avalon.
- Lorne Lyon (Exchanges) - A nemean lion, the best friend of Jim Finn.
- Jon Lyon (Exchanges) - A cranky nemean lion, the brother of Lorne and the best friend of Paul Finn.
- Madame U (Exchanges) - A gorgon who runs the local shop full of magical items.
- Alec (Exchanges) - A bugbear who seems to be friends with Blanche.
- The Finns (Exchanges) - The clan of gryphons of which Jim is a member, consisting of James, Mary, Tobias, Paul, and Colin.
- Eleanor and Rupert (Exchanges) - A bandersnatch and jub-jub bird, respectively. Disgruntled Wonderlanders who have left their home to live in the Liverpool Avalon. Seen playing a mysterious card game in front of a restaurant.
- Zech and Elise (Exchanges) - A centaur and pegasus, respectively. Seen arguing in the Avalon.
- Comics - The first arc, Orientations, as well as a short story, The One-Eyed Bear, are available for sale in printed form.
- Sketchbooks - Two books full of sketches and development of Skin Deep, as drawn by Kory Bingaman, are available for sale in printed form.
- Medallions - Bronze pathtags made to be in the shape of the medallions seen in the comics, are available for sale in the forms of Sphinx, Maned Gryphon, and Nemean Lion.
- Charms - Small, acrylic charms in the shape of Jim the gryphon, Anthony the harpy, and Blanche the stag are available for sale.