|Copris lunaris (Coprini) ♀|
About one dozen; see text
The scarab beetle subfamily Scarabaeinae consists of species collectively called true dung beetles. Most of the beetles of this subfamily feed exclusively on dung. Well-known members include the genera Scarabaeus and Sisyphus, and Phanaeus vindex.
Scarabaeinae tribes, with some selected genera and species, are:
- Gymnopleurini (sometimes included in Scarabaeini)
- Gymnopleurus Illiger, 1803
- Phanaeini MacLeay, 1819
- Sisyphini (sometimes included in Scarabaeini)
Coprini, Oniticellini, Onitini, Onthophagini and Phanaeini are sometimes separated as subfamily Coprinae.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Scarabaeinae|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Scarabaeinae|
- Scarabaeinae Research Network - resources on taxonomy, ecology and conservation of Scarabaeinae
- photos of species from each tribe
- African Dung Beetles Online
|This Scarabaeidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|