Saints Peter and Paul Academy
Sts. Peter and Paul Academy
|Architectural style:||Gothic Revival|
|MPS:||Cass Farm MPS|
|Added to NRHP:||September 22, 1997|
Sts. Peter and Paul Academy is a Catholic school building located at 64 Parsons Street in Detroit, Michigan. It currently serves as the St. Patrick Senior Center. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
St. Patrick Parish began in 1862, in response to the influx of Irish Catholics into Detroit. By 1880, St. Patrick had become one of Detroit’s largest and wealthiest parishes, and in 1890 the parish name was changed to "Sts. Peter and Paul." In 1892, to serve the children of the community, a school was built on Parsons.
From the time it opened in 1893 until 1969, the school functioned as a co-ed grade school and a high school for girls. The parish resumed its original name of St. Patrick in 1938, and the high school was renamed "Immaculata High School". The high school was soon renamed again as "Girls’ Catholic Central High School", and the grade school was renamed "St. Patrick’s Grade School"; both names stuck until the school was closed in 1969.
After the closing, the school was vacant for three years, until re-opening as the "St. Patrick Senior Center." The organization has continued to the present day, providing hot meals, health care, transportation assistance, and educational classes for the elderly, in association with the next-door St. Patrick Church.
- Godzak, Roman (2000). Archdiocese of Detroit (Images of America). Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0738507972 Check
- Godzak, Roman (2004). Catholic Churches of Detroit (Images of America). Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0738532355.
- Godzak, Roman (2000). Make Straight the Path: A 300 Year Pilgrimage Archdiocese of Detroit. Editions du Signe. ISBN 2746801450.
- Muller, Herman Joseph (1976). The University of Detroit 1877-1977: A Centennial History. University of Detroit. ASIN B0006CVJ4S.
- Tentler, Leslie Woodcock with forward by Edmund Cardinal Szoka (1992). Seasons of Grace: A History of the Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0814321062.
- Tutag, Nola Huse with Lucy Hamilton (1988). Discovering Stained Glass in Detroit. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1875-4.