Robert "Bob" Kimmel is a leader in the field of packaging science (see packaging and labeling) and packaging engineering. His doctorate is from MIT with a focus on polymer science, after which he worked in the packaging industry for thirty years. He is currently Chair of the Department of Packaging Science at Clemson University, and the director of its Center for Flexible Packaging. His research focuses on the design of novel polymer chemicals. He also works on design, patent, and trademark issues related to the packaging and plastics industries. He is listed in Marquis' Who's Who Online.
Kimmel is a named inventor on ten US and international patents, including, "Co-processable multi-layer laminates for forming high strength, haze-free transparent articles and methods of producing same" and "Multilayer laminate formed from a substantially stretched non-molten wholly aromatic liquid crystalline polymer and non-polyester thermoplastic polymer.” He is also the author and co-author of dozens publications in the field of polymer chemistry and packaging. See, for example: “Antimicrobial Packaging for Food” and “New Approach for characterization of biopolymer film using proton behavior determined by low field 1H NMR.” 
- "Clemson University Names Robert Kimmel to Lead Packaging Science Department" US Fed News Service, February 14, 2007
- See, for instance, http://www.legalmetric.com/cases/patent/wiwd/wiwd_391cv00375.html
- U.S. Patent 6,426,128 Co-processable multi-layer laminates for forming high strength, haze-free, transparent articles and methods of producing same
- U.S. Patent 6,268,026 Multilayer laminate formed from a substantially stretched non-molten wholly aromatic liquid crystalline polymer and non-liquid crystalline polyester and method for forming same.
- Y. T. Kim, K. W. Kim, J. H. Han, R. M. Kimmel Chapter 6: Antimicrobial Packaging for Food in J. Kerry and P. Butler (eds.) "Smart Packaging Technologies for Fast Moving Consumer Goods" Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons (2008)
- Y-T. Kim, Y-S. Hong, R. M. Kimmel, J-H Rho, C-H. Lee “New Approach for characterization of biopolymer film using proton behavior determined by low field 1H NMR” J. Agri.Food Chem., 55 10678-84 (2007)
For a full list of publications and patents attributed to Prof. Kimmel, see http://kimmel.rascientific.com.
See also http://workgroups.clemson.edu/CAFLS0320_PACKAGING_SCIENCE/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=84.