Rare Tea Company
In 2000 Henrietta Lovell, then a corporate project manager, encountered Chinese tea culture while working abroad. "In China, businesspeople would show off by buying a $120 pot of tea at lunch," she has said in interview. "I'd never tasted anything like it." Following a visit to Springbank whisky distillery on the Mull of Kintyre, Scotland Lovell started Rare Tea Company on a similar model, sourcing small-production teas to meet a demand for tea in the high-level drinks market.
Initially an exclusively online retail business, Rare Tea Company now additionally supplies tea to a number of restaurants, including Noma, The Fat Duck and Momofuku. It is also a shop retail business, selling through Waitrose and Selfridges.
- http://www.time.com/time/travel/article/0,31542,1871630,00.html "Market Leader Interview – Henrietta Lovell". Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "Market Leader Interview – Henrietta Lovell". Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- 'Storming the Teacup', Time Magazine Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2009 http://www.time.com/time/travel/article/0,31542,1871630,00.html
- Market Leader Interview - Henrietta Lovell, Creative Brief http://www.creativebrief.com/blog/2012/07/09/market-leader-interview-henrietta-lovell-founder-and-director-of-the-rare-tea-co/
- 'Tried and tested: an artisan tea', The Daily Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/8243956/Tried-and-tested-an-artisan-tea.html