9 September 1975
London, United Kingdom
|Spouse(s)||Shilpa Shetty (2009–present)|
Raj Kundra (born 9 September 1975) is a British Indian businessman who also has interests in both cricket and mixed martial arts. He is married to Shilpa Shetty, the Bollywood actress.
Raj Kundra was born and raised in London. His ancestors came from Punjab. He left school at the age of 18 and in 2004 was ranked by SUCCESS magazine as the 198th richest British Asian. As of 2009[update], Kundra was Chief Executive Officer of Essential General Trading LLC, which was described in a press release as being "a Dubai-based international trading company dealing in precious metals, construction, mining and green renewable energy projects". He was also at that time involved in the financing and production of Bollywood movies, and sharing Shilpa with the producers.
Kundra is involved with a charitable organisation called the Shilpa Shetty Foundation.
Indian Premier League
In 2009 Kundra and Shetty invested in the Indian Premier League cricket team Rajasthan Royals using an offshore company based in Mauritius as the vehicle for doing so. The couple hoped to use Shetty's image and status as a "global brand" as a means of boosting the image of the team through merchandising and media exposure, as well as attracting sponsors.
Super Fight League
- Shah, Gouri (11 February 2009). "It's not about getting the best players, but making the weakest stronger". Mint (Delhi). Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "Rajasthan Royals agrees to take strategic investment from Raj Kundra and Shilpa Shetty". London: Blenheim Chalcot. 3 February 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "Thank god, I'll marry only once: Shilpa". The Times Of India. 30 November 2009.
- "Shilpa Shetty gives birth to a baby boy". Rediff. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Olivera, Roshni. "Ready for the Super Fight League?". The Times Of India (Mumbai). Retrieved 2012-01-19.