Ryken received a B.A. from Wheaton College in 1988, with a double major in English literature and philosophy. He also completed a Master of Divinity from Westminster Theological Seminary in 1992, and a Ph.D. in historical theology from Oxford in 1995.
Ryken is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America. He joined the pastoral staff of historic Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia in 1995 and was elevated to the position of senior minister upon the death of James Boice in 2000. In February 2010, the Board of Trustees at Wheaton College announced his selection as the college's eighth president, succeeding the retiring Duane Litfin. Ryken took office on 1 July 2010 and was formally inaugurated on 17 September 2010 at Edman Chapel.
He is a member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, serving as a member of the Alliance Council, which features his expository preaching on its weekly national radio and internet broadcast, Every Last Word.
He has written over thirty books on a wide variety of Christian subjects, including:
- Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
- Written in Stone: The Ten Commandments and Today's Moral Crisis
- The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel with James Montgomery Boice and R.C. Sproul
- Discovering God in Stories from the Bible
Ryken has also coauthored a series of commentaries on individual books of the Bible with R. Kent Hughes. Ryken and his father, literary scholar Leland Ryken, have collaborated to produce a study Bible, and the father-son team worked with James Wilhoit to write Ryken's Bible Handbook, which focuses on the literary genres and styles in each book of the Bible.
Ryken is the son of Christian literary scholar and Wheaton professor, Leland Ryken. Ryken met his wife, Lisa, while the two were students at Wheaton. They were married after their junior year. The couple have five children, and reside in Wheaton. He is known to enjoy basketball and poetry.
- Tenth Presbyterian Church - Philadelphia, PA: Dr. Philip G. Ryken
- Wheaton College Names Philip Ryken President-Elect
- "Phillip Ryken Named New President of Wheaton College". Church Report. Christy Media. 2010-02-20. Archived from the original on 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Council - Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, Inc
- Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
- Every Last Word broadcast
- Tenth Presbyterian Church
- Wheaton College
|President of Wheaton College
James Montgomery Boice
|Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church