Peter Exley in 2013
|Born||2 August 1964|
|Alma mater||Newcastle University (B.A. Hons.,1985), University of Pennsylvania (M.Arch.,1990)|
|Practice||Architecture Is Fun, Inc.|
Peter Exley (born August 2, 1964 in Harrogate, England) is the co-founder of Architecture Is Fun, a Chicago-based architecture and design firm. Exley’s projects include the DuPage Children’s Museum, the House in the Woods, a 21,000-square-foot (1,950m2) Ronald McDonald House in Oak Lawn IL, the Exploration Station children’s museum and the Young at Art Museum's exhibits and galleries in Davie, Florida.
Exley earned a Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies with First Class Honours from Newcastle University in 1985 and a Master of Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1990. Prior to founding his own firm in 1994, he worked for Skidmore Owings and Merrill in Chicago and London and with Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates in Philadelphia. Architecture Is Fun’s work has been exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Chicago Architecture Foundation and the ICA in Philadelphia. In 2012, Exley was named President of American Institute of Architects Chicago for the year 2013.
In 1996 Exley was the recipient of the AIA Chicago Young Architect Award and in 2003 received the AIA Illinois Excellence in Education Award. In 2012, with his partner and wife, Sharon Exley, he was awarded the Benjamin Moore HUE Award for exceptional use of color in commercial architecture.
- Exley, Peter & Exley, Sharon (contrib.), Vieyra, Daniel (contrib.)(2007) Design For Kids. Mulgrave: Images Publishing. ISBN 978-1864701807
- Rojals, Marta & Broto, Carles (2006), Great Kids' Spaces. Barcelona: Links Books (pp. 42–47, 190-197, 226-227, 238-241, 250-255). ISBN 84-96263-61-4
- Fang, Abby, (2012), Eden For Boys & Girls. Hong Kong: Designer Books (pp. 42–51, 62-99). ISBN 978-988-16075-1-5
- Kyungil, Lee, (2012), International Magazine of Space Design. bob: 099. Seoul: A&C Publishing Co. Ltd. (pp. 142–147). ISBN/ISSN 1739-2845.
- Young, Cynthia “Giving Families Shelter and Comfort” AIA Architect http://info.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek07/1005/1005p_mcd.cfm
- Kamin, Blair. “These Tricks are for Kids” Chicago Tribune (January 4, 1998) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-01-04/news/9801040013_1_youth-museums-museum-field-architects
- Exhibit, “Architecture for Children”, Art Institute of Chicago http://www.artic.edu/1990-1999/1998-exhibition-history
- Chicago Tribune, December 11, 2012
- AIA Chicago Young Architects Awards http://www.aiachicago.org/special_features/1996_Design_Awards/Young_Arch/P_Exley.html
- HUE Awards 2012 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/benjamin-moore-hue-awards-to-be-presented-for-br-exceptional-use-of-color-in-architecture-interio