|Produced by||Neelima Tirumalashetty
|Written by||Abburi Ravi (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Rahul Koda|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Cinematography||P. S. Vinod|
|Editing by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Studio||Arka Media Works,
Sanghamitra Arts Productions
|Distributed by||Dil Raju|
|Running time||157 minutes|
|Budget||33 crore (US$6.0 million)|
|Box office||110 crore (US$20 million)|
Panjaa (Telugu: పంజా; English: Claw) is a Telugu Action Film directed by Vishnuvardhan, starring Pawan Kalyan. The film, jointly produced by Arka Mediaworks and Sanghamitra Art Productions, also stars Sarah-Jane Dias, Anjali Lavania, Jackie Shroff and Sesh Adivi, while featuring music scored by Yuvan Shankar Raja and cinematography handled by P. S. Vinod.
Jaidev (Pawan Kalyan) is an accomplished hitman and he is the most trusted aid of Bhagawan (Jackie Shroff), who is the supreme Don of Kolkata.Jaidev Remains Loyal To him as he helped in seeking revenge with the people who raped his mother and sister when he came to Kolkata in his childhood after his Father Death .They share a business rivalry with Kulkarni (Atul Kulkarni),who aims to overthrow Bhagawan as the Don. Things are smooth until Bhagwan’s son Munna (Adivi Sesh) returns back to India. He is a psychotic and highly impulsive character and his behaviour creates problems for everyone. He has his eyes on club dancer Jahnavi (Anjali Lavania) but she rejects him as she adores Jaidev.
Jaidev meanwhile comes across Sandhya (Sarah-Jane Dias), who is a soft spoken environmentalist and tree lover. A mutual admiration for each other leads to a romantic involvement between the two. Munna meanwhile, continues to go crazy about Jahnavi and a tragedy ensues. Munna, jealous and frustrated due to Jahnavi's love in Jaidev, Brutally Murders Her. Due to a soft corner in his heart as a best friend, Jaidev kills Munna by throwing him up from his flat. This scene is seen by Guravayya (Tanikella Bharani), an associate of Bhagavan who on the other hand is an informer to Kulkarni. He reports this to Bhagavan to get rid of Jaidev.
Jaidev is forced to decide whether to retaliate or leave Kolkata completely. He chooses to leave out of loyalty to Bhagawan and heads to Palasa, the village of Sandhya where Sandhya's Brother Ashok (Subbaraju) is a Valiant and Kind Hearted Cop. He comes across S.I.Paparayudu (Brahmanandam) and he solves the problems of the village by cleverly using Paparayudu.During this Jai remembers life when he comes to kolkata with his mother and sister where his mother was raped and killed by three men who Jai kills with the support of bhagawan and that's the first time he took the gun in his hand and for this is gives his whole life to bhagawan.
Bhagawan on the other hand, cannot rest until he seeks out Jai for revenge. Firstly Bhagavan Kills Chotu (Ali) the best friend and associate of Jaidev by wrapping a polythene bag making him succumb due to failure in breathing. Mean while Sandhya gets kidnapped and she is sent to Kolkata.
In a fit of rage at losing Chotu and Sandhya, Jaidev returns back to Kolkata and starts spreading Claws on his Rivals. He gets into Kulkarni's house with a heavy Ammunation and kills everyone except Kulkarni as Jaidev gives a word to him in the past that he would not Kill him. Kulkarni dies in his attempt to kill Jaidev. Later Jaidev kills Guruvayya as he gets information that Guruvayya was responsible for this Saga. At last Jaidev Reaches Bhagavan who actually kidnapped Sandhya. After an emotional sequence, Jaidev shoots Bhagavan in his chest as Bhagavn shoots Sandhya in order to kill her. The Climax is Shown that Jaidev unites with his True Love i.e. Sandhya and they both start a new and happy life
- Pawan Kalyan as Jai
- Sarah-Jane Dias as Sandhya
- Anjali Lavania as Jahnavi
- Jackie Shroff as Bhagavan
- Sesh Adivi as Munna
- Atul Kulkarni as Kulkarni
- Brahmanandam as Paparayudu
- Tanikella Bharani as Guravayya
- Ali as Chotu
- Subbaraju as Ashok
- Jhansi as Lakshmi
- Paruchuri Venkateswara Rao as Sabhapathi
- Sampath Raj as Sampath
- Surekha Vani as Jaidev's Mother
- Kishore Ballal as Sandhya's Grand Mother
In November 2010 sources reported that director Vishnuvardhan would direct a film featuring Pawan Kalyan in the lead role, to be produced by Neelima Nagesh and Shobu Yarlagadda. Neelima in an interview stated that she was a big fan of Pawan Kalyan. Vishnnuvardhan, following the release of his 2009 film Sarvam, which fared poorly at the box office, had been working on two scripts – the other one being the prequel to the 2007 version of Billa – but was unable to start either project due to unavailable dates of Pawan Kalyan and Ajith Kumar. He had planned to shoot both projects simultaneously from March 2011 on, but since that was not possible, he was forced to drop one of the projects, with Vishnuvardhan eventually deciding to direct this film. Reports also claimed that Krish, director of critically acclaimed films Gamyam (2008) and Vedam (2010), would pen the dialogues for the film, besides revealing that it would feature two female leads. It turned out that Abburi Ravi was roped in to write the dialogues, while the screenplay was provided by Rahul Koda.
Former Miss India Sarah-Jane Dias was signed for one of the two female lead characters, making her Telugu film debut, portraying the role of a college student pursuing horticulture.Jiah Khan, and Shazahn Padamsee, who starred in Orange opposite Ram Charan Tej, were considered for the other female role. However, eventually Mumbai-based model Anjali Lavania, best known for her appearances in the Kingfisher calendar and several other advertisements, was finalised for the second character. Director-actor Sesh Adivi was roped in for an antagonist role, playing Munna, an NRI and spoilt brat, while Abburi Ravi was confirmed as the dialogue writer, in spite of earlier reports that suggested otherwise. Yuvan Shankar Raja and A. Sreekar Prasad, Vishnuvardhan's norm associates, were signed to score the music and handle the editing department, respectively, while P. S. Vinod was selected as the cinematographer in place of Nirav Shah who had worked on Vishnuvardhan's previous projects. Action sequences were choreographed by Shyam Kaushal, a noted stunt co-ordinator in Bollywood films, while Sunil Babu was chosen as the art director. Vishnuvardhan's wife, Anu Vardhan worked as the costume designer. Pawan Kalyan was given a "much stylish look" for this film.
Principal photography was expected to start from April 15, 2011, with the scenes during the first schedule being shot in Kolkata, West Bengal. Filming eventually began on May 6 in Kolkata, where the major part of the film was shot. The Kolkata schedule was completed by late June 2011, and the following month, filming was held in Pollachi, Tamil Nadu, which was followed by schedules in Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, and across Kerala. In Kerala, the crew shot for five days at the Vagamon hill station, located 1,100 metres above sea level. A song sequence featuring Pawan Kalyan and Sarah Jane was shot at the Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad in September under the choreography of Firoz Khan. From October 10, the last song picturized on Anjali Lavania was canned in a Hyderabad studio. Anjali performed belly dance in the song, which was chreographed by Geeta Kapoor, best known for work in the song "Sheila Ki Jawani" from the Hindi film Tees Maar Khan.
The film was launched under the working title The Shadow, with the team indicating that the title may be changed. The film, began its principal photography in early May 2011, which was completed by October 2011, with filming being held primarily at Kolkata, West Bengal, Pollachi and Karaikudi in Tamil Nadu and Vagamon in Kerala. In the following months, several titles including Kaali, Thilak, Power and Patel, were considered. The official title was revealed as Panjaa by the producers during Dussera.Panjaa is planned to be dubbed and released in Tamil as well. Initial reports suggested that Ajith Kumar would provide his voice for Pawan Kalyan, which was dismissed by the actor several days later. The Tamil version became titled as Kuri and is planned to be released by January 2012.
The film was released on December 9, 2011. A teaser trailer was released a day prior to Diwali, which received high response. According to Sify, it was seen more than 2 lakh (200,000) times on the official YouTube channel within 24 hours, setting a new record. Panja will be dubbed onto Tamil as jai and it will be release soon.
Panjaa received mixed reviews from critics. The movie was criticized for lack of story and a strong screenplay. Though the movie was praised for its stylish presentation. Rediff gave a two stars, said "Panjaa is let down by a weak script. Panjaa also reminds one of Pawan Kalyan's own earlier movie, Balu. The second half of the film lags a bit. There doesn't seem to be much originality in the story telling. On the whole, Panjaa is nothing extraordinary and even a bit disappointing".greatandhra rated two stars, noted "The main drop down in the film is Pawan's character design. His getup and being a yesman to a gangster aren't in kilter with his nursery business. First half is morose and second half is emotion overdose. On a whole, Panjaa hits badly on the expectations of audience".Deccan Chronicle gave two stars says "The much-hyped action thriller lacks the adrenaline of a tight and creative script and one feels let down when stepping out of the theatre". A gangster film with mafia backdrop, It got mixed reviews but its title song, Panjaa, was the song of the year.
Oneindia.in described as "There are not many positives in the film. Pawan Kalyan’s acting, his subtle underplay of emotions and cool chic look are big positives. Panjaa is not exactly the high voltage action and romantic entertainer as it was billed out to be. The Telugu movie is an average film that will not please even the die hard fans of the Power Star".Sify gave a " Disappointing" verdict stated "The director fails to give Pawan Kalyan a strong identity other than that of being a Man Friday for a Don. Pawan Kalyan fails to thrill the audience with his stylish stunts, which are seen more as deliberate attempts, without any natural feel. Except for half an hour initially, the movie just rolls down like a Leviathan". However Oneindia.in says "Having received a great opening, Panjaa has taken a dip at the Telugu Box Office in weekdays. However, the distributors of the movie, which was released worldwide last Friday, have almost recovered the money".
On the other hand, jeevi of idlebrain gave 3 stars out of five explained "First half of the film is decent. The motive in the second half is not strong enough, hence it will not connect to the average audiences. On a whole, Panjaa is a sensible attempt, but not in the tune of popular taste. Mahesh Koneru of 123 Telugu gave 3 out of 5 rating terming it an Emotional Journey of a Hitman
|Soundtrack album by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Released||November 19, 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
For the film's score and soundtrack, Vishnuvardhan's friend and usual associate, Yuvan Shankar Raja was signed up. The soundtrack album was originally planned to be launched on November 13, 2011  but was postponed and launched on November 19, 2011 due to the sudden demise of Yuvan Shankar Raja's mother. The audio launch was held in a grand manner at the Gachibowli Indoor Stadium in Hyderabad. Along with the cast and crew, noted film personalities including directors K. Raghavendra Rao and S. S. Rajamouli, composer M. M. Keeravani and actor Rana Daggubati attended the function, which was anchored by comedian Ali and Suma Kanakala. The event featured performances by percussionist Taufiq Qureshi and rapper Blaaze, while several songs from the soundtrack were also performed by the respective singers on stage. The event was broadcast live on MAA TV, and the entertainment portal Indiaglitz.com.
Panjaa's soundtrack features six tracks. Chandrabose and Ramajogayya Sastry penned the lyrics for each three songs. The composing began in late January 2011. Haricharan had recorded one song in April, with Yuvan Shankar Raja disclosing on Twitter that he had made "about eight versions" of the song. Another song was styled as a "mass comedy track" filled with banter, featuring the voices of Pawan Kalyan and Brahmanandam. Singer Hemachandra recorded the number in seven and a half hours in the night. Other singers who had lent their voice to the songs include Shweta Pandit, Belly Raj and Saloni, all of whom collaborated the first time with Yuvan Shankar Raja. Upon release, the songs generally garnered positive response. The songs became chartbusters, with the title track ("Nee Choora...") becoming the most played songs in all Hyderabad radio channels. All six songs occupied six positions in the top eleven songs list of the Nokia Ovi Store, while CNN-IBN named the title track as the song of the year in Telugu. 'Panjaa' was the song of the year.
Panjaa movie grossed around a final figure of 110 crore (US$20 million).and 16.2 crore (US$3.0 million) in its first day.And 55 crore (US$10 million) on its first week.pawan kalayan remuneration was 10 crore (US$1.8 million).So the budget got hiked to 33 crore (US$6.0 million)
|1.||"Panjaa"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Yuvan Shankar Raja||3:34|
|2.||"Ela Ela"||Chandrabose||Haricharan & Shweta Pandit||5:05|
|3.||"Veyira Cheyyi Veyira"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Saloni||4:29|
|4.||"Kshanam Kshanam"||Chandrabose||Shweta Pandit||1:45|
|5.||"Anukoneledhugaa Kalakaanekaadhugaa"||Chandrabose||Belly Raj & Priya Himesh||4:27|
|6.||"Paparayudu"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Hemachandra & Sathyan||5:15|
- "Panjaa movie budget". muvi.com. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Vishnuvardhan's double dhamaka – Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2011-02-02). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan-Vishnu flick in March. Sify.com (2011-02-01). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Vishnu Vardhan to direct Pawan Kalyan – idlebrain film news. Idlebrain.com (2010-11-19). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Interview : Pawan Kalyan is my inspiration – Neelima Thirumalasetty – 123telugu film news. 123telugu.com (2011-12-08). Retrieved on 2011-12-08.
- Vishnu cancels billa date – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2011-02-18). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Jagarlamudi Radha Krishna | Krish Jagar | Pawan Kalyan Vishnuvardhan | Shobu Yarlagadda | Neelima Nagesh | Arka Media Works. CineGoer.com (2010-11-20). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Panjaa shoot complete except for a song – Telugu cinema. Idlebrain.com (2011-10-15). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan may romance with Sarah Jane Dias – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- "Sarah's not in the Tamil remake of Panjaa". The Times Of India. 2011-12-05.
- Shazahn to pair up with Power Star – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan Kalyan to Romance Kingfisher Model Anjali Lavania in The Shadow. Telugu.16reels.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Sesh bags a role in Pawan Kalyan's film? – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2011-04-11). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Fascinating journey. thehindu.com (2011-12-08). Retrieved on 2011-12-08.
- Pawan Kalyan's film titled Panjaa. Ragalahari.com (2011-10-05). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan Kalyan to sport stylish look for The Shadow – Mirchi 9 – Web Mirchi | Telugu Movie News from leading websites |Telugu Movie Gossips. Mirchi9.com (2011-03-10). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- 'Shadow' to go hit floors from April 15 – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan's next from May 6. Sify.com (2011-05-03). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan`s Shadow for Dussera?. Sify.com (2011-05-31). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan Kalyan's film wraps up Kolkata shooting schedule. Ragalahari.com (2011-06-26). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Title of Pawan`s next on Sep 2. Sify.com (2011-07-19). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan's Kaali in Pollachi. Sify.com (2011-07-19). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- 'Kaali' completes a schedule, to begin another – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan's movie in winter. Sify.com (2011-08-18). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- The travails of Panjaa's Vagamon schedule – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Pawan film title to be announced soon. Sify.com (2011-09-19). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Geeta Kapoor for Pawan`s Panjaa. Sify.com (2011-10-18). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Belly dance in Panjaa – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Arts / Cinema : Gangster classic. The Hindu (2011-11-26). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- First look: Pawan Kalyan's Panja – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (2011-10-10). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Not Shadow/Kaali, but Panjaa. Sify.com (2011-10-06). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Vishnuvardhan's Telugu film to be dubbed into Tamil. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Ajith lends his voice for Pawan Kalyan? – Bollywood Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Ajith denies rumours. Deccan Chronicle (2011-11-03). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- 'Panjaa' as 'Kuri' in Tamil! – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Panjaa 8000 screenings @ day1. runningpen.in. 5 December 2011
- Panjaa teaser sets records. Sify.com (2011-10-28). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- "Tollywood 2011: Mahesh Babu rules!". Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Panjaa: Complete List Of Distributors And Its Pre Release Business. www.weekendcreations.com (2011-12-16). Retrieved on 2011-12-16.
- Overseas by BlueSky – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Radhika Rajamani. "Review: Pawan Kalyan's Panjaa lacks power". Rediff. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "'Panjaa' Review: Powerless 'Panjaa'". greatandhra. Retrieved 09-Dec-2011.
- B.V.S. Prakash. "Panjaa review: Action thriller lacks adrenaline". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved Dec 10, 2011.
- "Panjaa - Movie Review". Oneindia.in. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "Panjaa review: All style, no substance". Sify.
- "Pawan Kalyan's Panjaa takes a dip at Box Office". Oneindia.in.
- "Panjaa film review". Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Panjaa Review". Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Panjaa audio on Nov. 13, film on Dec. 9 – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Music launch of Panjaa postponed. Sify.com (2011-11-04). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- SS Rajamouli Launches | Actor Pawan Kalyan | Telugu Movie Panjaa | Audio Launch. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-11-21). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Panjaa music launch function – Telugu cinema – Pawan Kalyan. Idlebrain.com (2011-11-19). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Panjaa audio launch: An affair to savour – Bollywood Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Panja Audio live on MAA TV and Mahaa news. Supergoodmovies.com (2011-11-16). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Watch Panjaa audio release live on IG – Bollywood Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Twitter / Yuvan Shankar Raja: Will be composing for Vish. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Twitter / Yuvan Shankar Raja: This clip was taken while. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Twitter / Yuvan Shankar Raja: That was from shadow I did. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Brahmi-Pawan song in Panjaa – Tamil Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Arts / Cinema : Itsy bitsy – Pawan's new act. The Hindu (2011-11-05). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Audio Review : Panjaa – New age music | Telugu Cinema. 123telugu.com (2011-11-22). Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- "2011: Dhanush, Mahesh Babu ruled the game in South". Retrieved January 3, 2012.