A variety of dishes cooked under the barbecue method
Seekh kebab – one of the famous Pakistani food specialities
Meat and grilled meat has played an important part in Pakistan region for centuries. Sajji is a Baluchi dish from Western Pakistan, made of lamb with spices, that has also become popular all over the country. Another Balochi meat dish involves building a large outdoor fire and slowly cooking chickens. The chickens are placed on skewers which are staked into the ground in close proximity to the fire, so that the radiant heat slowly cooks the prepared chickens.
Kebabs are a staple item in Pakistani cuisine today, and one can find countless varieties of kebabs all over the country. Each region has its own varieties of kebabs but some like the Seekh kebab, Chicken Tikka, and Shami kebab are especially popular varieties throughout the country. Generally, kebabs from Balochistan and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa tend to be identical to the Afghan style of barbecue, with salt and coriander being the only seasoning used. Regional kebab recipes from Karachi and the wider Sindh region is famous for its spicy kebabs, often marinated in a mixture of spices, lemon juice and yogurt. Barbecued food is also extremely popular in some cities of Punjab such as Lahore, Gujranwala and Sialkot. Al-Hamra Restaurant and Bundu Khan kebab House are famous throughout Pakistan for their taste and variety of kebabs. Kebab houses are said to be the most profitable food businesses in Pakistan.
Main article: List of kebabs
Types of kebabs (mainly made of beef or lamb) are:
- Seekh kebab (Urdu: سيخ کباب) - A long skewer of beef mixed with herbs and seasonings. Takes its name from the skewer.
- Shami kebab (Urdu: شامي کباب) - A Shami kebab is a small patty of minced beef or chicken and ground chickpeas and spices.
- Chapli kebab (Urdu: چپلي کباب) - A spiced, tangy round kebab made of ground beef and cooked in animal fat. A speciality of Peshawar in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
- Chicken kebab (Urdu: مرغ کباب) (Moorgh-Kuh-bob) - A popular kebab that is found both with bone and without.
- Lamb kebab (Urdu: کبابِ برہ گوشت) - The all lamb meat kebab is usually served as cubes.
- Bihari kebab (Urdu: بہاری کباب) - Skewer of beef mixed with herbs and seasoning.
- Shashlik (Urdu: شیشلیک ) - Grilled baby lamb chops (usually from the leg), typically marinated
- Bun kebab (Urdu: بن کباب) - A unique kebab sandwich
- Shawarma (Urdu: شاورما) - It is usually a kebab or lamb strips in a naan with chutney and salad.
- Tikka kebab (Urdu: تکہ کباب) - A kebab made of beef, lamb or chicken, cut into cubes, marinated with a yogurt blend and grilled on coals.
- Boti kebab - A kebab made from fillet of meat and is popular in Multan. Sometimes marinated with green papaya to help tenderize the meat.