Ohio State Route 338
|Maintained by ODOT|
|Length:||2.32 mi (3.73 km)|
|Existed:||1932 – present|
|West end:||US 33 near Racine|
|East end:||OH 124 near Racine|
Ohio State Route 338 (OH 338) is a state highway in the southeastern portion of the U.S. state of Ohio. The remaining active north–south segment is a remnant of a longer east–west route, with its western (southern) terminus at US 33 approximately 10 miles (16 km) east of Racine, and its eastern (northern) terminus at OH 124 approximately 8½ miles east of Racine. This remnant is known internally as OH 338J, and much of the old route was replaced by OH 124 in 2003 following the opening of the US 33 super two highway to Ravenswood Bridge across the Ohio River.
OH 338 begins at an intersection with US 33 near Racine. The route heads northward, running near the banks of the Ohio River. OH 338 intersects with a few private roads, which lead to nearby homes. A field is visible to the east, as the highway makes its namesake turn as Great Bend Road. During the bend, OH 338 turns and heads into a dense forest. After a short distance, OH 338 breaks out of the dense patch of trees. With the Ohio River in view, the highway terminates at an intersection with OH 124 northeast of Racine.
The original route was certified in 1932; originally routed from Letart Falls (about 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Racine) to 10 miles (16 km) east of Letart Falls. The highway was extended to Racine in 1937 along a previously unnumbered road from Letart Falls to Antiquity, and along the former OH 337 from Antiquity to Racine. OH 338 was extended 8.5 miles (13.7 km) east of Racine along the previous and current alignment of OH 124.
In 1941, OH 338 swapped alignments with OH 124 from 6.5 miles (10.5 km) to 8.5 miles (13.7 km) miles east of Racine; OH 338 was given the southern alignment along the Ohio River. By 2007, OH 338 was truncated at the new alignment of US 33 approximately 10 miles (16 km) east of Racine; the former alignment of OH 338 from Racine south along the river and back up north to 6.25 miles (10.06 km) miles east of Racine designated as OH 124; from 6.75 miles (10.86 km) east of Racine to US 33 decertified.
||Racine||0.00||0.00||US 33||Southern terminus.|
|2.32||3.73||OH 124||Northern terminus.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams". Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo! Maps – overview map of OH 338 (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=38.961424&lon=-81.781699&zoom=18&q1=SR-338%2C%20Ohio&q2=38.933622%2C-81.767461. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1931). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1932). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1936). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1937). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1938). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (1941). Ohio Highway map (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (2003). Official Transportation Map of Ohio (Map).
- Ohio Department of Transportation (2007-09). Official Transportation Map of Ohio (Map).